Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting a galvanized trailer

Painting a galvanized trailer 13 years 11 months ago #5388

I know it is not necessary but what steps need to be taken to paint a galvanized trailer? I want a more period looking trailer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Painting a galvanized trailer 13 years 11 months ago #5489

Hi, All bare metal should have a conditioner applied prior to primer, if not the paint will flake off. I've only painted galvanized once, it's been a long time. Very Very VERY stinky process to prep galvanized for primer! Have a good fitting resperator with the proper cartridge. This explains it better than I can www.galvanizeit.org/images/uploads/articles/paintsteel.pdf

Re:Painting a galvanized trailer 13 years 11 months ago #5491

personally I advise against this, galvanized metal is most difficult to deal with and usually peels off

If you must, use a primer specifically designed for zinc coated metals (galvanized) & wash the item with thinner then with a strong oil cutting soap to remove the trace oils from the thinners

use polyurethane or 2 part epoxy paints, Alkyd/oil paints that are applied to galvanized metal will adhere initially, but will quickly peel. The zinc of the galvanizing will chemically react with the alkyd binder of the paint, creating a “soapy” film on the galvanized metal and causing the coating to peel.

this is much like concrete, if you paint it once you are committed to up keep, re-paint
although you may not be happy , hope this helps

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)