Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holsclaw bunks replace rollers

Holsclaw bunks replace rollers 12 years 4 months ago #49545

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I got tired of sanding the boat today, so decided to work on getting the bunks on the trailer upgraded and doing away with the hard old rollers........ without butchering up the mounts Fabricated some mounting brackets out of angle aluminum stock, hope they're strong enough! What we're replacing, just can't see using those again but I'll save them in storage just in case.... The original mounts still in tact, couldn't bring myself to "modify" them....
I know it looks like "severe overkill" using 4x4's but with only two vertical supports over the 6' span, I wanted to make sure they would hold up. I want to leave them uncovered until they have a chance to dry out for a few weeks, the moisture was oozing from the holes I drilled for the mounting screws. I also needed the additional height to keep the adjustment close, and keep the keel up off the rollers once the boat is "nestled on" the trailer. Think I'll leave the keel rollers in place until I see how it acts launching and loading. Maybe they won't looks so obtrusive once they're covered with carpet to match the trailer?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Holsclaw bunks replace rollers 12 years 4 months ago #49552

Looks great Mark. I'd definitely leave the keel rollers, helps load and unload the boat easier and with the bunks it shouldn't hurt anything since all the weight is distributed throughout the hull. Like I mentioned in Todd's thread, mine has both and actually the bunks are only about 4' long but hasn't affected the hull at all. It's been like that since it was bought in 1965 and been sitting on it ever since. Hull is completely straight.

Bob

Re:Holsclaw bunks replace rollers 12 years 4 months ago #49580

Lets hope they don't warp. Looks good and I would not butcher the original setup either.

Re:Holsclaw bunks replace rollers 12 years 4 months ago #49586

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks guys, I figure at least this way I can fall back and re-group (re-do) it this way if I don't like it.......or the boards warp. I can always use the 4x4's for erosion control in the back yard. :P

Mark

Re:Holsclaw bunks replace rollers 12 years 4 months ago #49590

You did a good job of keeping the character of a unique trailer. Nice work.

I opted for the 2x6 instead of the 4x4, but as you say. You can always change it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)