Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions

1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 5 days ago #4871

I found a boat I may be interested in purchaseing 4-5 hours from me that is sitting on a 1950's Yellow TeeNee Trailer. Looks to be from 1955-1957 if I would venture a guess. It has the teardrop fenders with all the fixins.

The boat has been sitting in a garage for at least 30 years on the trailer. I'm trying to figure out how to get the boat home without causing damage to the boat and trailer.

Can the bearings on these Tee Nee trailers be repacked with grease without removing the hubs on the trailer? I'm afraid of losing a wheel or two if I were to be silly enough to pull the trailer home as it sits.

Second, it looks to have 12" tires on the trailer. What size and brand of tires would people recommend? The tires currently aren't flat, but need air, and again, I don't want to take the chance of blowing out tires getting this boat home since it will be a 4-5 hour trip.

Lastly, did these trailers have a 1 7/8 or 2" ball?

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4911

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Dan, I'm no expert on TeeNee's (or anything else, for that matter :) ). I did have a similar situation a couple years ago with the Cutter I bought, sitting on a 60 Holsclaw trailer that hadn't moved a wheel for at least 25 years. Your situation will be more difficult with the long drive. If there is a U-Haul dealer anywhere near you, a car hauling trailer may be the way to go! (Roll-Back wreckers are the easiest, but outrageous $ to hire for a trip of that length, unless you have a buddy who owns one.) Single or even two day rates on a trailer rental are quite reasonable in comparison, especially if you pick it up and drop it back off at the same location. A "come-a-long" and a decent strap or log chain can make loading more bearable, and I'd take a 2x12 long enough to cross the rails for the hitch/tounge to rest on, and plenty of straps to hold her down on the trip.

Just something to consider, then you can take care of wheel bearings, tires, etc. when you get her home. RE-packing bearings, breaking loose lug bolts of unknown condition, etc. that far from home can be a hassle, but not as bad as having a catastrophic failure going down the road.

You didn't mention the size of the boat, but I think most of the older trailers designed for 17 footers and under ran a 1 7/8" ball, BTW.

Hope this helps......

Mark

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4914

Mark,

I've been considering a car trailer. Boat is a 14' runabout. My tow vehicle is the much coveted 2002 Ford Explorer who UHaul will not rent any trailers to. I'd have to find a smaller trailer company who would rent to me.

I agree with you and a car trailer would be the better choice.

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4938

• MarkS
Then it looks like a trip to wally world, northern tool (harbor freight, or whatever) for some tires, and a can of wheel bearing grease are in your future. Don't forget to take some 1157 bulbs for the trailer lights, penetrating oil, etc..

Mark

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4979

Let me ask the next logical question. I can probably pick up a couple of tires and wheels to take with me and can repack hubs to pull this old girl home. (and can take the necessary tools). What's the proper wheel bolt pattern on a 1950's Tee Nee Trailer?

4 lug nuts, but if one wanted to match up an aftermarket wheel to make the maiden voyage home, 4 on 4 bolt circle?

Something like this would fit?

shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4482&categoryID=158

This would save me pulling the wheels, finding a shop to mount the tires, returning to the boat, repack the hubs and venturing home.

Who is the expert on TeeNee Trailers? Wallys Trailers?

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4984

Hey Dan,
I just emailed you with Del's email address. He can answer any questions you have about the Tee Nee trailers.

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4986

Much thanks!

Dan

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 4 days ago #4987

When I bought my Tee-Nee and the tires were shot, I just took them off and over to a local tire shop and they had some in stock and mounted right there for me.

Hello, World!!

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 14 years 21 hours ago #5193

If it doesn't have the correct 12" rims with 4 hubcap clips I can supply both the rims and NOS hubcaps when you're ready.

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 13 years 11 months ago #5990

i have a 58 tee nee it uses a 2 inch ball I keep away from walmart tires cheap thin ply ,Im using ones from americas tire store rated a 1100 pound capacity . as far as white walls I seen a person here who brought 12 inch whitewall inserts from whitney . you had to look twice to tell. bearings come out easy after you remove dust cap cotter pin and nut off, to grease quickly take the dust cap off and put on some bearing buddies and grease from there.

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 13 years 11 months ago #6001

Dan,
do you have a friend with a truck that could pick up thr u-haul for you?
the piece of mind of having your new find on a trailer rather than on its own would be PRICELESS :)

woosterken

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 13 years 11 months ago #6002

• MarkS
OR, the thought occurred to me that one of us members may be able to help out. (I'd be glad to donate a few hours to help out a fellow enthusiast with my truck.) Dan, your profile isn't filled out so we know where you are located. Where you at buddy?

Mark

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 13 years 11 months ago #6011

Mark,

I was looking at a 1956 Winner boat with this trailer and a 1956 Johnson Javelin and someone else beat me to the punch, sight-unseen.

I'm in Overland Park, KS and will be taking my sweet time finding the right boat. No worries, I'll ask a ton of questions when the time arises.

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 10 years 2 months ago #89660

do you still have 12" tee nee wheels im restoring one

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 10 years 2 months ago #89684

I think I e-mailed you a few days ago. I looked locally a few years back without success. I just went with cheapies. I'm from Kittanning.
Attachments:

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 10 years 2 months ago #89715

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
robert-lorigan wrote:

I think I e-mailed you a few days ago. I looked locally a few years back without success. I just went with cheapies. I'm from Kittanning.

I need fenders for my TeeNee.

Where did you get yours?

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 10 years 2 months ago #89749

Mine are original.

Re:1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 10 years 2 months ago #90075

If you haven't yet get ahold of Del he'll hook you up with fenders
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.liquidassetsonline.org , 63\'PowerCat14-C w/twin64\'650\'s,14\'Glen-L Zip w/Mark58E,58\'TeeNee,
Mark55AE,Mark55E,PairMark58E\\\'s,Mark58AE,Mark78AEL, 6-7RBM\'s.Keep EM\' Alive! Always looking to add to collection.

Re: 1950's TeeNee Trailer Questions 9 years 4 months ago #103011

two guys in Us that do them one in Michigan & one in Florida, guy in florida $50 cheaper......google him/fenders or he advertises on Craigslist, I did an all craigslist and he shows up

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)