• Page:

TOPIC: Whitewall Tires

Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47812

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I know quite a few of the older trailers have 12" wheels on them- and that it can be a little tough to find suitable replacement tires for them 'off the shelf'... When I restored my Gator, I made my own whitewalls- I PAINTED the tires. It's held up pretty well for 2 years, but recently I found a source for the 'real thing'-

store.cokertire.com/12-inch-tire-sizes.html?adjclear=true

It's a company here in Chattanooga that specialized in older vehicles, they have other sizes as well. I suppose the only drawback is price- Starting at about $125 each, but they add that last 'touch'.

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47828

Painting wide witewall is an old school way to avoid the price of the real thing. It looks good for a while but will turn yellow. 2 years, you must have done a good job. I've seen some last only a month or the first rain.

Coker is the #1 choice in vintage tires. They also make a 10" whitewall store.cokertire.com/excelsior-440-10.html

A cheaper option are Portawalls About $50 for a set of 4. www.portawalls.com/

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47842

Thats just what I was looking for,,Except for the $$$,I will be painting mine or por-a-walls ?.
I had pretty good luck painting them, I did this on my 58 Coronet
bought the paint off E-Bay.This pic is when they were only 2 weeks old ,they darkened a bit, but not bad,,2 years now.I just bought a set of used tire from a tire dealer in town,.155 sr 12`s .they look almost new and at $20.00 each I cany loose.
Attachments:

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47846

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
This is how mine looks- Not the best pic, I wasn't focusing on the tires-

I went the 'ultra cheap' route on the trailer tires... They were new tires, from Wal-Mart. I scrubbed the piss out of them, to get them good and clean, and then I painted them (after masking, of course!) with 4 coats of Flat white spray enamel, the stuff they sell at wally world for .98 a can. I didn't know if it would work or not, but it did. It darkened a little bit, but not too bad. It's also really hard to scuff or scratch. After 2 years, it still looks fine, and I think it really looks good on there!!

The truck whitewall 'stripe' was already there... I'm not that brave...

-Andrew

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47930

Diggin' the white walls! Plan on doin' up the Snowco with a set www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/13-trailer-talk/13737-snowco-trailer.html Think I'll try paint on the WalMart tires that are on there now, 2 years old 20 miles. I like the balloon look the wides give, and the portawalls are just over 1" wide for the 10" tires. When we start takin' it on road trips I'll spring for the Cokers.

Just a note on tires...They have a shelf life of 6 years and are dated when made. After 6 years they can start coming aprart on the road.

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #47948

• Ron G
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I hear and have read on the net that a wire wheel will take the black off and reveal the white underneath.I googled it and was surprised at what I found.I looked for the porta walls that I used years ago and couldn't find them.Ron G

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #48152

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's a closer shot of the 'whitewalls' on my trailer... I've got the baby moons off, but you get the idea-

This is after almost 2 years... Granted, not of heavy use, more sitting around than anything. BUT- they were fully exposed to the weather. That's a $1 can of flat white spray paint from Wally world...

-Andrew

Re:Whitewall Tires 12 years 5 months ago #48271

I just painted mine this week end.looks pretty good.NOw I have to mount then up !!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6583 guests and one member online