• Page:

TOPIC: Gator bearings

Gator bearings 12 years 9 months ago #38511

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All, I'm just about done stripping the trailer down for sandblasting and came across this peculiarity at the axle. In the jpeg I have my screwdriver pointing at what I think is the wheel bearing (if in fact it's not the bearing I am going to refer to it as such for discussion purposes). You'll also notice the square tube axle going inside the bearing and then the wheel assembly on the outside of the bearing. The peculiarity is this. On one side the bearing rotates with the axle and on the other side the bearing rotates with the wheel. Is this okay or is it indicative over-tightening on one side or the other? I apologize if this is a freshman question but having never stripped out a trailer I just have to question everything that seems odd. Thanks in advance.
Shipster
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 9 months ago #38513

My guess is the seal is in terrible shape. It looks to me like it has separated at the rubber seal and seal body, or the seal has popped out of the hub. They are relatively cheap. We have to keep the water and dirt out of the bearings. It looks like it is in need of a tear-down and inspection. Nothing stupid about questions, when knowledge is the result. You don't want a bearing going bad on the road.

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 9 months ago #38518

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Robert, thanks. You were right in your assessment that they are loose seals. When I got everything apart it became readily apparent. I'll get back. Again, thanks.

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 9 months ago #38520

Clean up your old seals , bearing and be sure to take them with you. I have an Electra trailer that has weird size bearings and seals. They had to cross-reference the numbers. Last time I replaced the things I had three different makes of bearings and seals. Also keep you box with numbers for future reference. I had to learn that the hard way.

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 8 months ago #39156

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi again,
I got the trailer broken down in to parts and sand-blasted yesterday. Couldn't be happier about the results there. What used to be okay here and terribly rusted there is now a pretty even texture throughout. I've got 3 coats of epoxy primer going on tomorrow (weather permitting)and I'd like some feedback on how to handle the leaf springs. Should I paint 'em, let 'em weather, clear coat 'em, etc. Whats a good look? I'll post pix after it gets primed. Thanks in advance.

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 8 months ago #39162

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't think there's a paint, clear coat, or even powder-coating out there that will stay where the leaves rub together, Shipster. (I could be wrong, it happens all the time!) If it were me, I'd have to at least try paint them though. (I can't stand a rusty or "weathered" look on something I just worked on.) I'd have to at least try to make 'em look better. That may be a good place to use Rustoleum with the hardener I have read about the gang using. Or just Rustoleum would be better than nothing, IMHO. One thing is for sure, if you don't do something they'll turn rusty in a hurry. Just my two cents. ;) Can't wait to see some pics of your work.

Mark

Re:Gator bearings 12 years 8 months ago #39227

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Advice well taken Mark. I found what I guess is a serial/model# stamped on the top of the frame on the starboard side towards the front with about 1/2" numbers. 41701125. The 0 might be a 9. Is this just a random number or are any of them cryptic in any way? Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)