• Page:

TOPIC: new old trailer

new old trailer 12 years 9 months ago #38125

• frog
  • frog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
i just picked up a 1961 elgin 14 ft runabout, and it has a elgin trailer under it, it has the toster style fenders, i looked in the libary section and it looks like the 1958 back saver tilt trailer' with optional fenders, are these trailers worth anything? or should i just paint it and use it? thanks frog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new old trailer 12 years 8 months ago #39860

Ho Frog :)

Being a fellow Frog and 1961 trailer owner, I vote to keep the trailer with the boat. An old boat trailer is not going to be worth much unless you keep it with its original boat, THAT's what makes it a Vintage rig. ESPECIALLY since they are both the same make; that's rare!.

You can have the trailer "magnafluxed" to check for cracks in the welds. If you find a week spot you can add a strap or brace so you can have the vintage trailer under your boat along with the peace of mind that it's not going to vanish on a bumpy road. Nothing more irritating than having to reliving that great Jeff Foxworthy routine... "Mr. Foxworthy?? No, we don't mind you towing the boat with your friends in it... But we do require you put it on a trailer!"

Here is a youtube to show you what Magnafluxing is and how it works. You will have to call a few places to find out who could do it. Look for trailer and spring shops that work on 18-wheelers or possibly an engine rebuild house would do it for you since it is totally portable. These machines are getting fewer and far between with our nation becoming a throw away society. Don't let anyone tell you it's outlawed or not the way things are done these days, because they are just trying to sell you something new. Hang up on them and go on to the next call.

Magnaflux Youtube Video <---click here

Re:new old trailer 12 years 8 months ago #39871

Just make sure it is in sound condition. My Tee Nee is so much better made than my newer trailer. It is much heavier too. I just need to do the bunks. You can see it in some posts below, Old fenders are cool.

Re:new old trailer 12 years 7 months ago #44204

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
hopfrog and robert, thanks for the info on the trailer. the boat is totally junk, so i pulled off all the trim and hardware, will post it on web ads. the trailer looks to be in good cond , but it has a torsion bar type axel and have no idea what shape the rubber inside the tube is. sorry this took so long to thank you guys but i'am old, fat , and ugly and have CRS. lol frog
Attachments:

Re:new old trailer 12 years 7 months ago #44221

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I disagree Frog, you're not old. (ha, ha) You can get replacements for the torsion axle (ends, or complete axle assy.) from Northern Tool;
www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=trailer+axle&Nty=1&D=trailer+axle&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial
Very cool trailer, and I completely understand the desire to keep them original. Replacing the stub axles or axle assy. would give you the option of converting to a bolt on 12" wheel as well. (I know, then it's not "original" anymore, but the thought of pulling the bearings apart to change a flat on the road just doesn't appeal to me, sorry.) ;)

Mark

Re:new old trailer 12 years 7 months ago #45225

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
hey mark, long time no talk. yes the hubs would have to go, and was thinking of putting springs and a new axel under it. we have had frost 3 times allready this fall, so the toys will go into the big shed till spring. but will work on my 1961 merc 50 hp this winter. did not get as much done as i was hoping for this summer but had a good time with my grandson. and i did get my 1966 merc running good with yours and dave b's help. thank you guys very much. i'll have a new toy in the next week or two. i'll post a picture of it when i get it home. take care and talk later. frog

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)