• Page:

TOPIC: Tandem trailer needs brakes

Tandem trailer needs brakes 13 years 11 months ago #3797

• jill_s
  • jill_s's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I just got a new boat and trailer with tandem axles and need to add brakes to it. Its a heavy wooden boat approx. 2000lbs with an extension hitch to float the boat while launching.

I've done some research online and asked around for opinions including brake installation shops and most folks suggest Hydraulic surge braking system with disks not drum. I should go with it but personally I'm fighting it cause I would prefer electric where I can use the controller to apply braking to the trailer only.

I've been told that the there is a hydraulic system where that controlling feature can be used but its expensive. I'm reading online that there have been improvements in electric braking systems for boat trailers using improved water and salt resistant products.

I'm posting here for some more opinions before I make my decision.
Here are a few pics plus a not so good shot of the axle showing there is a 4 holed plate so brakes can be added.

Thanks

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tandem trailer needs brakes 13 years 11 months ago #3863

Well Jill, all I've ever heard (or had) on boat trailers are hydraulic surge brakes. If there are advancements in electric that make them less prone to failure in watery conditions, that is news to me. Of course, everyone now likes disc brakes, but trust me, drum brakes would make an incredible difference over no brakes at all!

Please keep us posted as to how you make out. By the way, that is a beautiful boat you have there!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)