Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides?

How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #36974

Having a shop weld the guides that center the boat on the trailer (the guides will be welded to plates, the plates will in turn be bolted to the trailer).

How much clearance do I want from the guide to the rub rail on the boat? 2"? 5"? 36"? My humble craft is about 5" wider up front than at the point where the guides will be mounted.

How far above the rub rail should they stick up? I know if they're short that you risk missing the rub rail when loading it on the trailer.

I will be able to shim them out to make them wider, but I'd rather just get it the first time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #36991

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The widest part of your beam has to be your starting point, since the boat has to pass between the guides on the way on and off the trailer. I would want at least 2" clearance on each side, you don't want the boat "scrubbing" against them with each launch. (Can't go too wide, or they won't serve the purpose intended though.) I wouldn't go any higher that the rub rail, you may want to take the boat down to the shop so the guy can get some measurements before he starts fabricating. Just my two cents worth...... ;)

Mark

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #36994

Another thing to keep in mind is the steepness of your favorite boat ramps. I use a few where the back of the trailer is much deeper than others. Since the boat floats the back will float higher on the post than a shallow ramp. I have a few I use here where the the ramp goes in so shallow my exhaust is getting wet. I once used a single guide on one side.

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #36998

i my opinion,i would make them about a foot or so higher then the rub rail,the trailer will be on a slope when in the water on a ramp and the boat will be level,making the guides lower then when the boat is on the trailer,and you could end up with the rubrail missing them,and maybe scratching your boat.
you can also mount your lights on top they wont get wet,ron v's trailer is set up like that,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #37000

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
i was thinking of the horizontal bunk style guides, on the height issue. (Don't know why, just letting you know where my head was.) Pole style you guys are right, higher the better (within reason, of course). I like Ron's with the lights in the poles, very nice IMO.

Mark

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #37001

lol,mark you mark you are right,i didnt even think of that style,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #37003

this was done by Frank Alguire Designs ltd. inc.
Attachments:

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #37066

Hy there. I worked for metal craft trailers for 10yr. and they mounted the rails below the rub rails so the boat has no chants to hit the rub rails when you are loading your boat in the wind and waves. I have seen when the boat comes dawn on the side rails and pop the rub rail of the side of the boat. If your going with just one gide poll in the back then Franks design looks grate. Brian

Re:How Much Clearance for the Boat Guides? 12 years 8 months ago #37093

I took my one side pole off years ago. It helped when I was new at loading a boat on the trailer. I used to load my boat on the back of the truck every trip. That was a pain in the azz. I use my rollers to hold it where I want it now. I want to use my TeeNee trailer. It will be easier to use. I don't need the guides to load. I may put them on just to mount the lights. I'm using a 72 Electra trailer now and it is a real cheap affair let me tell you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)