TOPIC: Gator add ons

Gator add ons 12 years 8 months ago #36928

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys,
I have been taking my trailer apart to get it ready for sandblasting and I have 2 questions. First is the fenders have what is left of some mud flaps that whoever put them on in the first place did what I would consider a hack-job of doing it. Question is were the mud flaps put on originally by Mr. Gator or were they add-ons? The second is regarding the back rollers. In order to get the brackets unbolted from the frame is going to take some sort of magic in that the heads of the nuts and bolts are practically inaccessable to get a wrench n them. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Gator would approve of such cock-eyed engineering in a production type manufacturing process. Same question, are they original or are they add-ons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Gator add ons 12 years 8 months ago #36929

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Sorry guys, I'm not sure why the full jpeg didn't load on the post but hopefully there is enough of them there to see what I am asking about. Thanks in advance.
Shipster

Re:Gator add ons 12 years 8 months ago #37397

My gator trailer also had remnants of mudflaps bolted to underside of fenders, don't know though if it was factory. I have a couple gator brochures ('59 and '60) and neither show mudflaps attached to any of the pictured trailers.
Your rear guides were a factory accessory they called "gator guide" rollers. Yours look just like the ones in the brochures so I'd bet they are the real factory items. You can get a closed/open end wrench in behind the round tube that drops your rear bunks and onto the bolt head or nut. It was a pain in the rear but I was able to break them loose after letting them soak with penetrating oil. I had the best luck lying under the trailer and working over head to get at the bolts. Good luck.

Re:Gator add ons 12 years 8 months ago #37398

Re:Gator add ons 12 years 8 months ago #37555

I was surprised at my TeeNee's 50 yr + bolts. They looked horrible and in some cases the nuts were very rusted away. After soaking them only a few didn't come off. The old bolts were too far rusted to re-use but I always try to take them off without cutting if I can.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)