• Page:

TOPIC: Prepping the trailer for an interstate run

Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 10 months ago #33320

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
In late July I will be hauling my boat from Aurora, Colorado to Pryor, Oklahoma (think Denver to Tulsa). Its about a 11 hour drive.

I replaced all the trailer lights and wiring, with new LED lights.
I will have brand new tires, keeping one of the better old tires as a spare. (I'll keep the spare with jack, chocks and tools in the van.)
I will have the bearings replaced (they might be okay with just a repack, but I am not taking chances).
I will get a better motor stabilizer post so the motor will be secure for the run.
I just had a new winch installed in the front.
I will have a new clip for the nose safety chain.
Replacing the Nose rubber rest on the trailer.
I'll replace the old worn out rear boat straps that go from the aft hull to the trailer.
I'll renew my AAA Gold Membership. (is there a better roadside assistance for boats?)
I'm doing a full flush/refill on the oil, coolant and transmission for the van. The van has less than a year on the transmission, and has the cooling systems in place for towing.
I'll be hauling it uncovered, as the canvas cover I have, well, I am unsure how well it will stay secured -- just planning on washing it before and after the trip.

Anything else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 10 months ago #33321

Brakes on the trailer?

Have you made a close visual inspection of the springs to insure nothing is cracked? Also it never hurts to do an inspection of the u-bolts holding the axle to the springs as they hold the axle on.

Otherwise, sound like you're doing great!

Frank

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 10 months ago #33361

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
No brakes on this trailer, but I will have them recheck the brakes on the 2000 Chrysler Town and Country 3 Liter AWD.

I'll check those things you suggested and thanks for the reply!

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 10 months ago #33452

Check the ball hitch
If a slide latch, when latched you should not be able to lift it no more then a 1/4 inch (1/8 is better). There is a nut on the underside that you can tighten

If it is the "old turn till tight hitch" make sure the locking leaver spring is good and the leaver latches into the hand nut
I do not trust these any more and have drilled a hole in the comer of the hand nut near the top as to add a bungee cord holding it from turning

I once got back home with a trailer and was backing it in the side yard when the trailer came loose...Just lucky that it did not come off on the road

Check all nuts and bolts for both the trailer and van ...if worn or rusted badly; replace....3 bar (grade 5) hardness min.... 6 bars (grade 8) better

CAVU

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 9 months ago #37694

Replacing the bearings is a smart thing to do. I learned over time that the factories only use enough grease to keep the part from rusting. Bearings, u-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends etc. are not "packed" for road use. You should pack them with grease GOOD when installing them.

Since we're on the subject, I'd like to use your thread to give a couple tips to others reading this...

When lubing the wheel bearings, remember to look at the "type" of grease. There is Lithium, Aluminum Complex, etc. Don't mix types.

If you only use one kind, then go with it. If you are unsure, I'd take it all off and go new.

Use solvent to clean all the old grease off. Old timers used gasoline. That was fine before, when it was actually gasoline lol. I'm not sure the processes and additives they put in it now, but it doesn't even smell like gasoline anymore :/

Use brake cleaner spray to finish off and flush the last of the grease out. Brake cleaner does not leave a residue. You can use isopropal (70%) or denatured alcohol if you want to make sure there is no residue or film left on the bearing.

I like Sta-Lube Moly-Graph Hi-Pressure for my bearings. It is Lithium base with a 375f. degree drop point and "excellent" water resistance. The graphite helps keep friction down, thus heat down.

I would venture to guess shackle bearings and ball joints would be the same, I've just never paid attention; they don't spin at high speed. :p

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 9 months ago #37701

Extra bearings in a clean coffee can already greased and ready to go with all tools needed. Throw some extra lug nuts and pins for the castle nut in to boot. Drive carefully.
On a side note a few years back a tree chipper broke away from a truck in the Pittsburgh area and killed the entire family excluding the Mother. A week later they pulled some illegal aliens over with a chipper with a pintle hitch loop on it duct taped to a 2 inch ball with no safety chains.

Re:Prepping the trailer for an interstate run 12 years 9 months ago #37717

That reminds me (so off-topic it hurts lol)... (or is it???)

I was driving northbound over Raton Pass on I-25 near the So Co boarder when a late model Chevy PU smashed into a boulder that fell off the mountain and ended up in the #1 lane against the center barrier. The big rock was the same color as the concrete highway and about the size of a Volkswagen! I didn't get to find out if they just hit a boulder already there, or if it fell in front of them and they didn't have time to stop. The Interstate has slow swooping curves in that area. I slow down every time I go through because it is one of the most scenic 10 mile stretches of road in all of the U.S. The local people in a hurry to get somewhere just scream around the corners. I have no idea how fast this guy was going, but he didn't move that rock too far so it was hard to speculate. If he was sight seeing like I always did, this white boulder would not have stood out until he was on top of it. It just plain sucked either way; I felt bad for him.

As I creep past, I can see the front axle of the pick up was under the passenger's feet. The passenger inside was bleeding from the head, which was slowly bouncing around like a bobble head doll and there was windshield damage which told me he wasn't wearing a seat belt. The driver was walking around outside in shock apparently looking for something.

Driving past and going about 100 yards down the road I saw what he was looking for. His BOAT! About a 18' speed boat. It was sitting in the center of the #1 lane as if it knew not to change lanes without signaling. There was a fiberglass skid mark from the keel that was only 100 feet long. I think that means it was airborne for 200 feet? Holy Cow! Well, that explained the empty boat trailer and the two foot deep "V" dent in the back of the cab! The impact punted his boat for a field goal and the cab acted as a ramp in a Hollywood movie and sent the fiberglass missile on it's way.

The CB was a'chatter with comments about what a jerk the driver was, looking for his boat when the passenger was injured. I tried to tell them he was in shock as well and to just go help the passenger. The driver was probably in need of first-aid himself! Anyway, it had just happened moments before I came through and there were plenty of people getting out of their cars and going over. There's no use an 18-wheeler stopping in that narrow section and blocking things up more.

So when you travel to OK, please watch for VW sized boulders in Raton Pass okay? It didn't look like a fun day for the two fellas. Not a recreational past time; hitting solid objects at 55-65 mph. A good reason and remember...

"Never drive faster than your ability to stop in the distance of your vision".

Have a great trip!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)