Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575

Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 11 months ago #30787

I have a 1971 Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 with (4) 650X13" tires rated for 3000 ibs. boats up to 22'. It has the optional trailer brakes with the trailer brake actuator that looks like something out of the last century. The trailer is in very good shape with the usual surface rust.

I am planning on removing the brake actuator and either replacing with new or going without brakes. Is this antique actuator worth anything as an antique? Don't think so but thought I would ask before throwing away.

Reading the posts on trailer restoration have not heard of anyone sandblasting. Is this a bad thing to do or just too expensive? I am discovering it will cost about $250.

Last question this trailer is designed for a 22' boat. I am going to use it on either a 18' or 19' wooden boat. This makes the tongue very long when the winch post is moved back for proper set up. Should I be selling this trailer and getting a smaller trailer?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 11 months ago #30788

That's one cool trailer! I'd keep it, use it with your old wooden boat. You won't find that quality of steel and design today.

I used to sandblast stuff. I've got a good sandblaster, but found it to be very expensive just for the media. I take my time, clean off surface rust with hand held and power sanders, clean it well, then use good primer before final color. But if you can afford to have somebody do it, it won't hurt anything. It will destroy rubber stuff (i.e. rollers). $250 isn't a bad deal for somebody who does a good job.

I doubt there is any market for antique or classic hydraulic actuators, but I've been wrong before. I'd ditch it and get a new one. They have great trouble-free actuators out there nowadays, well worth the price for ease of use and peace of mind. Just make sure to get the right one for whatever brakes you're using and whatever your tow vehicle is wired for.

I prefer longer trailers to shorter ones. As long as you have decent tongue weight and the trailer tows well with the boat/motor on it, it's easier to back up, and easier to see in your mirrors. I'm in the process right now of lengthening my tongue 3'. As long as the trailer is balanced correctly, it should be fine.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 11 months ago #30820

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm with Frank on this, VERY cool trailer! It'd make a great way to haul your woody, IMHO. The Holsclaws were built like battleships, and adjustable "nine ways to Sunday". $250 for sandblasting it is pretty reasonable, beats tasting rust for a couple weeks, LOL.

Mark

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 11 months ago #30954

Well it is off to be sandblasted. Here it is in better days hope it looks like this again soon.
Attachments:

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 9 months ago #34569

Getting ready to put the boat back on.
Attachments:

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 9 months ago #34593

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
NICE work HD, she looks brand new! Looking forward to seeing a pic of your boat on it.

Mark

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 9 months ago #34621

I have a sandblaster and I have never bought media for it by a bag. I use masonry sand bought by the ton. After it is dried out it works well. I store it in barrels with lids after it dries. I also sift the used sand and re-use it. It gets finer with use so you keep it separated. You don't need 120 lbs all the time. Less air and more control may take longer but some things don't react well to being blasted by high pressure sand. Baking soda I hear works well., walnut shells crushed. Who knows.

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 9 months ago #34705

Boat is on!!!!!
Attachments:

Re:Holsclaw Tandem Model C-575 12 years 9 months ago #34764

Looks good.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)