Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brake drum question

Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29387

I'm going to pick up my newly turned brake drums/hubs for the Power Cat trailer next week. I need to rebuild the hubs and also wonder what to protect the newly machined brake drum surface with until I get brakes on this trailer. Oil? Grease? Vaseline? Primer? Paint? I want something to keep them from rusting but is easy to clean when I get brakes for them. I know new drums and rotors from the factory have some kind of coating on them that comes off with brake cleaner.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29405

frank,i would not use grease,vasilene,primer or paint,too hard to get clean again.
maybe a spray oil a very light coat,something that will clean up with brake cleaner,but i would try it on a scrap piece of bare metal 1st,you dont want any residue on the brakes thats for sure,john,hmmm i was just thinking how about "pam"spray on cooking oil?,the stuff made so that your food doesnt stick to the pan?

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29406

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not sure I would be that concerned about rust forming unless they are going to be sitting on the shelf for an undetermined amount of time. Any that does form could easily be taken care of with some light sand paper. If you are dead set on putting something on them how about masking tape or slip them into a plastic bag and seal after squeezing as much air out as possible.

Melanie

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29407

The drums are going back on the trailer till I can afford the brake stuff I need. May be months. Masking tape might do the trick.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29408

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
DO NOT use oil the steel is cast and it will soak in. I would just use a light coat of paint that you can remove with a little bit of laquer thiner or acitone.
Pete

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29437

That's what I was thinking Pete. I think aftermarket manufacturers use some kind of easily dissolved clear glue, but maybe it's just clear paint. Comes off easy.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 weeks ago #29438

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's not a paint product.Actually it is a wax product known as Cosmoline.

www.cosmolinedirect.com/

Melanie

Brake drums turned 13 years 3 days ago #30387

Got my drums back today. Cleaned them & gave them a quick coat of Rust-oleum primer from a rattle can. Easy to clean off. Not sure when I can afford everything else I need for brakes, but this was a 1st step.

You can see how badly this race is scarred. You can run your fingernail around it and feel it catch. I've got kits for both hubs and hope to rebuild them tonight maybe.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 3 days ago #30419

What kind of parts do you need. I have acouple of brake systems laying in the never got to it pile. Let me know and if I have it you can have it.

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 3 days ago #30436

Good morning Skip!

I need a brake actuator/coupler for drum brakes and the brake assembly for both sides (10 X 2 1/4"). Brake lines and hoses are not a problem.

When I got this trailer, the coupler was missing. When I decided to use it for my Power Cat, I stripped all the lines and brake stuff off, just to make sure it wouldn't surprise me on the road someday by stopping on its own!

Now I want to put brakes back on it for no real reason other than safety, and given the hubs/drums are good, that's a first step in the right direction. The guy that did them for me charged me a pizza, can't beat it!

Didn't get the hubs done last night, need a new driving tool for the larger races. I'll figure that one out today.

Thanks!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 days ago #30504

Got the bigger races installed tonight. Figured out a tool to do it using scrap steel I had around.

I had a piece of 1/4" steel the right width to get the race started, but needed to cut one end down an 1/8" or so to pound the race down into its seat.

The operation was a success, and I believe the patient will live. :laugh:

Frank

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 days ago #30519

I have 3 surge brake set ups. I will go through them on sunday and see if i can make one good one out of them and check all of my brake parts for the rest. What size are the drums , inside dia. & brake shoe width.?

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 days ago #30526

Boy, that would be great Skip. Drums are 10 X 2 1/4 (even though they always measure 2 1/2). Thanks!

Frank

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 days ago #30527

also need to know if your are useing 2 drum or 4 drum braking system.

Re:Brake drum question 13 years 2 days ago #30535

It's a single axle two drum deal Skip. I hope to do a bit of work on the axle stubs today (emery cloth), get them good and cleaned up, load bearings and get the drums back on so I can mover the boat. Got lots of things to do before I get it in the water this year.

Thanks again for the help!

Frank

Re:Brake drum question 12 years 11 months ago #30753

Skip, just so you know, I am about ready to roll. Hubs have been completely rebuilt, drums are turned and ready, and my new 3' longer tongue is a day or two from being done.

Please let me know how you're making out. Got some major expenses this week, but should be in a bit better shape next month.

Thanks!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)