Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rusty metal pits be gone!

Rusty metal pits be gone! 13 years 2 weeks ago #29192

Scraped, sanded, cleaned with mineral spirits, blown clean, 2 coats of Rustoleum rusty metal primer, and finally, body fill. More to come, but should be in smooth red soon!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Rusty metal pits be gone! 13 years 2 weeks ago #29196

looking good frank,which trailer is that?.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Rusty metal pits be gone! 13 years 2 weeks ago #29198

John, it was the tongue off the boat trailer that my Power Cat is on. It is very heavy duty steel, maybe 3/16 stuff, and heavy. I was trying to reduce weight on the trailer, so substituted an 8' piece of 3" sq. 11 ga. tubing. Now, to put brakes on my trailer I need a bit longer tongue, and wanted one anyways. Between the spare tire mount, jack and winch post, there is no room at all. For $62 I could get a 10' piece of the same 3" sq. tubing, but guess what? I don't have $62!

So, the original tongue is going back on the trailer. It's 11' long, so I'll have room to spare (which I like). The reason the tongue is so heavy is because this was a 3500# trailer. It's all set up for brakes, i.e. the hubs are drums. I need an actuator, and all new brakes, except for the drums. The reason I liked this trailer for the Power Cat is the Cat fits between the fenders. Even though the boat is less than 14' long, it is incredibly wide, and that was the only trailer I had that would do it.

If nothing else, I am not going to use the original winch post for this trailer. It is huge and real heavy. So that's the deal, a boat that weighs maybe 700#s on a trailer that weighs more! I'll be glad to get brakes on it.

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)