Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!?

Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20874

Got caught by surprise tonight disassembling a trailer axle. Couldn't find or feel a cotter pin anywhere on the nut, so started taking it off. Boy, what a bear to turn with my big channel locks, had to go get one of my big wrenches, had the right size. Gee, kept fighting it. Got towards the end, and in part due to my back, couldn't hardly turn it at all. Clean it off again with my rag, and notice this black dot on one side. Get a small screwdriver out to clean it thinking it's a cotter pin hole, but nope, seems like an allen screw! Sure enough, that's what it was. I have never seen an axle nut held in place by a set screw, but here ya go...

Not gonna be fun putting that nut back on. Gonna have to see if the nut is tough enough to rebuild the threads on the spindle. I sure hope so. I don't have any thread restorers that big! Oh well, more work. At least the bearings are standard 1" axle bearings. Everything will need to be replaced. The grease is solid.

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20897

Worked at it this a.m., got the nut going on and coming off by hand, cleaned all the solidified grease off, may have a set of rebuilt hubs that will work. We'll see.

Frank

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20899

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't think I've ever seen one like that either Frank, what trailer are you working on?

Mark

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20901

Log splitter Mark. I think I'm gonna punch a hole through the nut and axle and convert it to cotter pin.

Frank

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20963

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank to clean up the threads get some "valve lapping" compound put some on the thresds and work the nut back and fourth wipe the compound off and repeat again oops forgot first use a "thread file" there not very exspensive. I have used this method many times in the past. Just takes some time so be patient. Good Luck Pete

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20964

Thanks Pete. I don't have any valve lapping compound around anymore, but I do have thread files. I used cutting oil, and it didn't take long to get the nut working so I could hand loosen/tighten it.

Frank

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20965

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Awesome job! and I havent been posting for awhile due to old neck problems fingers / hands have been very sore!

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 4 months ago #20967

Trust me Pete, I know about hand and finger problems. Good luck!

Frank

Re:Allen screw instead of cotter pin?!? 13 years 3 months ago #23299

Had a horse trailer made in OK that had allen screws ...Had on hole for a pin but near the run down a flat spot on the axle...After that I taped an allen wrench in the storage locker less I had problems on the road....I have problems keeping up with 2 sizes of allen wrenches....the one that I use all the time....VBack then you could buy one allen wrench at a time....not having to but a whole set to get one

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'