• Page:

TOPIC: Bearing protectors

Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #15969

• CAT*FIN*k
  • CAT*FIN*k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been beatin' on these things for 2 days and they are not gonna fit. Is there some trick? The bearing kit went in fine. These are not Bearing Buddy brand, Long Run from BOW. According to the bearing kit they are the right size. I even tried to file a longer taper and press them on...nogo.

Should I try the next size smaller?

Do the NAPA kits have a metal retainer for the inner seal? Old ones did new ones do not. Nothing to do with the bearing protectors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #15971

Stick the bearing protectors in the freezer over night, then try installing them immediately when you take them out. I've done that with difficult interference fit stuff in the past.

Frank

Re:Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #16005

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
CF, have you mic'd the inside of the hub? The bearing protectors come in two sizes that I know of, a 1.780" and 1.980". My 196? Holsclaw ran the 1.780", and my 1973 Murray runs the 1.980". They were both tough to get in, I guess they have to be to stay put. I used a block of wood and a big freakin' hammer to drive 'em home, you just have to be careful to keep them "square" in the bore while doing so.

Mark

Re:Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #16136

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanx for the responce, I didn't mic the hole, mics are packed now. The axle spindle is 1" and the bearing package said to use the 1.98" protectors. I'll try the freezer when I get a chance. After giving up on the protectors I tried to install the dust caps that came with the bearing kit and no way are they going to fit either. Flatened one cap tryin' to press it in. The old cap is a smaller dia. than the new. The cage & race & seal fit perfect but not the cap or cotter pin. :unsure:

Re:Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #16177

If it turns out you need the smaller size, I have two sets that came with the bearing sets I bought. I measured one at 1.783"
I can't use them because they were too loose. I used the old dust caps instead.

Re:Bearing protectors 13 years 6 months ago #16231

• CAT*FIN*k
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanx for the offer Jim. I did what you did and used the old caps. I'll deal with it in later, gottem packed well with grease. I want to put some calipers on it to check the diameter of the hub holes and also check for out of round.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8078 guests and 2 members online