Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer painting/coating options

Trailer painting/coating options 13 years 7 months ago #14629

Hi Team,

First timer renovator here to bare with me.

I am currently working on the trailer.

It’s all steel, need to have some rust areas cut and a new section welded in and a good sand blast before coating.

That's where I get into mixed advice…

My plan was to use either (1) a three-step kill-rust paint (kill rust, anti rust primer, paint) or (2) use a cold galv paint. I see so many on all the different forums go this option.

However, upon chatting to my steel merchant yesterday, he said no matter what I put on it will rust in no time and I'd have to redo it every 12 months and that my only long-term option was to have the trailer fully galvanised.

This is not an option I wanted to entertain due to cost (trying to rebuild on somewhat of a budget) and that by using paint I can cover up some of the trailer’s imperfections and give it abetter overall look in my opinion (i.e. colour match to the boat, etc).

I expect once finished it will see salt/fresh water 50/50 of the time.

What are your experiences and thoughts oj the painting option (assuming proper prep and application)?

Cheers,
AJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Trailer painting/coating options 13 years 7 months ago #14643

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I once owned a steel hull house boat very hard to keep the hull from rusting. I was lucky to find a coating / paint that I only had to apply once! Nine years later when I sold the boat it was still in GREAT shape.
Try this web site. www.Tnemec.com Very good product / people to deal with.

Re: Trailer painting/coating options 13 years 7 months ago #14726

Steel trailers don't last long when used in salt water. Even with the best coating on the outside, they'll melt from the inside out. You may be best off in the long run to look for a used aluminum trailer...IMHO

Re:Trailer painting/coating options 13 years 7 months ago #14752

I don't know much about salt water, but I do know how to protect steel, even old stuff. I wire brush it and clean the rust off best I can, clean it well, and use NAPA's rust treatment. Usually three thin coats will do it. By then the steel turns black. From here I use Rustoleum primers and oil-based paints for final coating. I've got trailers I've had for years that were done that way with not a spot of rust on them. Prep is the key.

Salt water can do a job on galvanized steel too. Cat Fink is right, aluminum is the way to go if you're concerned about salt.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

Re:Trailer painting/coating options 13 years 7 months ago #14760

The trailer will deffinetly rust from the inside and ANY place that metal contacts metal that is not welded. For example, if there are places that are bolted together. And if the trailer is made from tubing, how do you paint the inside of the tube? Steel should not be used in saltwater unless it is a trailer that doesnt have any value and is basically disposable after a few years.

Proud military member.

\\\"Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time.\\\"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024