Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stripping an axle down

Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #13932

I enjoy tearing down old trailers and building new from the ruins.

It's all pretty straight forward. Once the trailer is tore down, you're left with the axle, usually after removing the trailer leaf springs. Then it's time to pull the cotter pins, remove the axle nut and start tearing the hubs down.

The hammer and cold chisel is how I remove the pressed in parts of the bearing. Usually there's two in trailer hubs, an outer and an inner. You go in from the other side and carefully give it good whacks evenly around the diameter of the thing.

You want to preserve parts so you know where they go, and so if necessary you can interchange bearing and seal part #s. This is (I think) a standard 1" axle shaft, very easy and inexpensive to get replacement parts for. I get kits (complete bearing set, cotter pin and new dust cap) from NAPA. They have kits to fit most all trailer axles. Cheap.

I stopped after getting just one hub tore apart. Tomorrow night I'll do the other one, then put on my specs and look things over, mike the shaft, check part #s, and continue to get everything ready for refinishing and reassembly.

You won't recognize this stuff when I'm done with it. Bear in mind it might not get done quick. I do what my back allows me to!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #13966

I did the other hub this a.m. before going to work. Cleaned everything up, checked #s, miked the bearing shaft and sure enough, standard 1" axle, takes a # 21 kit at NAPA. I had a #21 kit in the shop, just minus a 12165 seal, so ordered one kit and a seal.

More later. Need to work on the boat tonight!

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #13983

you don't see those ballpeen hammers around much. i have three. were left in the garage when i bought my house in 72.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #13984

vuyosevich wrote:

you don't see those ballpeen hammers around much. i have three. were left in the garage when i bought my house in 72.

I think the duct-tape wrap is an extra-cost option on those...
I actually have a $200 ball peen hammer. Seriously.. It's got a composite handle and wrap around the hammer head. I think it's hollow and has lead shot in it. It's like a dead-blow hammer and it hits HARD!
My Dad bought it for me about 12 years ago...

Ray <-- would never buy a $200 hammer... :ohmy:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #13990

That duct tape was put on by yours truly when the old (and I mean OLD) wood handle started to split. It did the job. This hammer was my grandfather's, he was born in '83. 1883 that is! And I love the hammer, been with me maybe 35 or more years.

Did a little more cleaning tonight. Want to strip everything down to bare metal eventually, smooth stuff out, prime & paint. I got an idea what this axle is gonna support too.

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14125

Nice "How-To" on an often neglected maintenance check.

I've got one of those hammers with the bent nail option in the handle end to hold the head on.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14133

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I've never specifically purchased a ball-peen hammer....yet, I have 5 of them. In the bottom of a box at a garage sale, inherrited grandpa's and uncle's tool box, and so on.

My business is selling bearings and a job shop, machine shop. I can safely say,

1.) a little grease goes a long way
2.) a good seal on a non-pitted shaft is important*
3.) grab the wheel and shake it every so often
4.) lack of maintenance causes cost to increase exponentially

*On axles with a poor seal, it is actually better to take the caps off. Strange but true. My dad has a 4 wheel trailer. It had plastic caps one of which cracked and fell off. When replacing bearings, he discovered that the poor seals allowed water in but on the wheel without a cap the bearings were just fine. the other 3 were pitted and rusted. Allowing the water to evaporate saved the bearings.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14202

Great advice Jepstr!

Well, I'm moving ahed here with the old axle rebuild. Found out I'm gonna have to have the u-bolts made up, nobody sells square u-bolts for 1 1/4" steel anymore. Mine are 1/2 X 3 1/4. When the time comes, I'll have Albany Spring make me up some new ones. Been there, done that!

The hubs are in three coats of self etching primer (NAPA stuff of course).

Axle got cleaned, wire brushed, wiped down with acetone then NAPA's Kleanz-Easy. Bearing and seal surfaces were wrapped so they wouldn't get contaminated, then the axle was hung just off the floor (sucker is heavy!) and sprayed with three light coats of NAPA's Rust Treatment.

Next is finish color for the hubs and JB Weld for the axle to fill all the darn pits. Then primer and paint.

More to come.

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14203

nice work frank,it looks great.
when we took out the bearing races,we used a 1/2" and a 3/4" brass rod to pound them out,it wont nick or scar the hub or races,they belong to my father in law,i have no idea where to get them..if they start to mushroom after time we just cut off that part of the rod.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14206

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
What is the thread size on the squared off U bolts?

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14207

Thanks John, just me (crazy Frank) screwing around with old stuff to make it look and perform like new.

My old cold chisel is softer steel then whatever those hub inner surfaces are made of, plus the chisel end is very dull. I never get so much as a scratch. Also, I'm not shy. I use that 3# ball peen flat side and give it a good solid whack, move 90 degrees, give it another good whack, etc. till it pops out. Works good.

Jepstr, the square u-bolts are 1/2" fine thread, 1 1/4" between the inside of the legs, and 3 1/4" from the top inside of the leg to the bottom of the thread. Heavy duty stuff for this little axle. Last time I was at Albany Spring, they made me 4 big u-bolts for a truck spring project, charged me 35 bucks and included nuts and washers! I was able to save the spring plates (they're probably 3/8 steel), so what the heck, I think I'll just go with the original 1/2" stuff. The alternative is do get them in 7/16 or 3/8" and make new spring plates. I could do that too, I just don't know if I have any 3/8 scrap around to make plates up. I can't find 1 1/4" square u-bolts anywhere in any of these thread sizes. They could be longer, I'd just cut them off.

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14208

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've seen them in the grade 2 zinc plated style at the hardware store, but that won't do for an axle.

I've see people make a flat bar with 2 holes in it under the axle and use 2 bolts rather than a U style bolt.

Sounds like you have a good shop to get parts from.

I just love fixing old stuff too. I have a couple of trailers that will need this treatment too.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14210

I've thought about just making matching a couple more spring plates, and using bolts. I just like the idea of using what was on it originally. We'll see!

One of the handiest sets of tools I have for working with old stuff is a set of thread restorers. I use them all the time. Taps and dies are too aggressive. Sears sells a thread restorer kit that is not too expensive and covers coarse, fine, and some metric.

Frank

Can't get u-bolts 13 years 7 months ago #14211

Albany Spring only goes down to 1 1/2". Oh well, make up a couple spring plates and use bolts! Now I'm gonna need some 3/8" scrap steel. Sheeeeesh!

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14221

frank do you have a tractor supply store near you,they may have what you need ,if not there is a huge savlvage yard near me,i get anything metal there,send the u bolt to me and ill see if they have any,they have everything you can think of, including bolts,heck i used 3/4 threaded rod in my front concrete porch,if they dont have them i will be suprised,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14222

Nope, Tractor Supply does not have them John. I've searched on the web, trie3d the web sites of all the trailer places, plus just hardware suppliers, called the big old spring shop in Albany, no luck anywhere.

Spring bolts are like hardened steel, can't use threaded rod. I'd rather make spring plates and use bolts. But I'd be glad to send you one John, see what you can do. Email me yer snail mail address and I'll get one out this week. No big rush anyways.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14225

frank its..........436 helman road
indiana,pa 15701,im glad to try to help,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14226

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Too bad you aren't close by. We could make some at my shop. You can get almost anything for a nice cold beer on a hot day. (it's 90 here today) :laugh:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14227

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Too bad you aren't close by. We could make some at my shop. You can get almost anything for a nice cold beer on a hot day. (it's 90 here today) :laugh:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14236

Boy Jepster, I wish I lived closer too, I'd come over and tip a couple with ya after a hard summer day! ;)

Got rust pits filled with JB Weld on almost two whole sides of the axle. Need more JB Weld! Using popsicle sticks to mix and apply.

Hubs came out looking good with 3 coats of Rustoleum red on them, that is until I dropped one freshly painted (final coat of course) in the grass. :dry:

Things could be worse.

Next (after the JB Weld is done on the axle) is trying to gently remove the center spring bolts so I can clean up the leaves. I started this a.m. on one, but no luck. I left the nut soaking in PB Blaster. We'll see if it does any good.

No work tonight - play on the Hudson with an old glassic!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14237

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank
Give this guy a try for the "u" bolts for the axle. J&J Boat (502) 937-7178 he is located in Louisville Kentucky and is on East time zone. He sells about everything fenders, hubs, axles, springs, etc... and he is very cheap!! If he has what you need I will pick them up and ship them to you.
good luck
Pete

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14709

Gee Pete, I just saw your message. I will give that dude a call tomorrow and see if he might have these 1 1/4" sq. u-bolts. I need somebody that has been in the trailer business decades and is a pack rat. Nobody sells these anymore that I can find, and they used to be very common.

Got the hubs cleaned inside and out, installed races this evening. I've got my own way that involves a bit of grease, a wooden mallet to get the race level with the hub face, a short piece of black pipe made into a race driver and my grampa's 3# sledge. Presto zippo. Took longer to take the pictures and post this than to install the races!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14763

DelRay wrote:

Frank
Give this guy a try for the "u" bolts for the axle. J&J Boat (502) 937-7178 he is located in Louisville Kentucky and is on East time zone. He sells about everything fenders, hubs, axles, springs, etc... and he is very cheap!! If he has what you need I will pick them up and ship them to you.
good luck
Pete

No luck Pete. He's got 1 1/2" but not 1 1/4". I'm gonna make new spring plates, 4 of em, and just use bolts. Thanks for the tip!

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14766

Just a thought...Could a 6" long piece of 1/4" plate be welded to the side of the axle where the U-bolt go? Bump the 1 1/4" width to 1 1/2" and allow you the use 1 1/2" U-bolts.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14772

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Or a piece of 1/8" thick pipe slid over each leg of the u-bolt, to take up the extra 1/4" width........similar thought process

Mark

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14781

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just a thought that JJ might have it. I know you will come up with something.

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #14789

Thanks guys, but I think making new spring plates (4 of em) and using regular cap screws just sounds easier to do.

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15221

frank,i treid buddy but couldnt find a bolt for you that small,and as for the camper ,i stopped and asked him,and he said not for sale,and its just sitting there full of crap,rotting away,sorry frank,but i will keep looking,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15227

Thanks for trying John, I'm gonna go with new spring plates and straps I think. Old plates were 5/16 steel and I got enough for two new ones and straps.

Doesn't that sound familiar? Trailer sits rotting away and guy doesn't want to sell. I know people run into this with old boats all the time. Guy here has a neighbor who hasn't moved his old boat in years. It's got a merc 1000 on it that's newer than mine, and guy won't sell. Grrrrr!

If we lived closer or there was a way to get that Project X 2011 trailer to me, I'd restore it for you guys. Whadya think?

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15242

frank that sounds great ,with you restoring the trailer,it would take some of the time off me,then all i would have to restore is the boat,hopefully someone can restore the motor,im not much of a mechanic,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15300

How could we get it here John? I don't think I can come get it, not right away anyways, my back will not take a trip that long right now. I'm lucky to just get to work and back, lol.

Frank

Axle refinshed 13 years 7 months ago #15347

This was that old rusty badly pitted solid steel 1 1/4" square axle I started this thread with. After sanding and cleaning, I sprayed it with rust treatment (see posts above), covered it with JB Weld, sanded it, sprayed it with self etching primer to cover the bare metal exposed after sanding, did a 2nd coat, sanded it, then did a final touch up, again sprayed it with self etching primer, and here it is. I've got about 20 bucks into just the axle, and a few hours maybe. Understand I could go out and buy a similar axle for 50 bucks. No one will probably ever even see it once I put it under a trailer frame. Basically I did it because I like working with metal stuff, plus I never used JB Weld like this. We'll see how it works out.

Next is a sandable primer, then finish coats.

Frank

Attachments:

Axle refinshed 13 years 7 months ago #15348

double post deleted
Attachments:

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15352

it looks good frank,good ideas.
as for the trailer we will have to wait and see where it comes from 1st,as we dont have one yet,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15390

Thanks John, just let me know when we can get that trailer. I have an old Holsclaw I'm gonna refinish and see if I can sell it. Gonna start working on it soon. Need some cash!

Frank

Re:Stripping an axle down 13 years 7 months ago #15399

when we find one, if someone can get it to me in north jersey i can bring it up to Frank. ron

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7525 guests and one member online