Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Powercat- what does your trailer look like?

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138317

I have a 14' 1959 Delaney Powercat clone. It's currently on an atrocious homebuilt trailer made out of pipe, and there is almost nothing about the trailer that was done right. I'm going to start over, buy a decent used boat trailer, cut it up and re-weld it to fit my needs.

If you have a 50's-60's Powercat type catamaran, could you post some photos of what the trailer underneath looks like (or send me some - PM me for address or a number to text them to)?

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138322

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
This will be slightly different, but this is from a 1965 Powercat 15T which is the triple sponson rather than a twin hull true cat. These are pictures of original TrailCar trailer that shows how this model was set up with sponson guides that would also work with a twin hull. I noticed mine used the conventional rollers, so mine sits on the high spots. My Dad had the same boat, but different brand trailer with different features, his used flat rollers about twice as wide as mine. It also used outside guides that had rollers up high, but against side of hull to keep hull centered. If either of these 2 trailers are too deep in the water, you have to be more careful with the side post so the hull doesn’t land on top of the posts. My angle guides are a little forgiving and help the hull center as it is pulled out. I have seen modern cats use 2 flat bunks or wider single bed adjusted just right, but load still on rollers under sponsons. Hope you get some pictures of twin hull cats like an old 14 or 15 footer, etc. my trailer needs a little work. I may update my wooden blocks with a running board between the front wedge and back wedge on each side and also add some new carpet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stellargrey

Dr.Go!

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138323

Thank you so much for those pictures! Interesting!
I saw some photos of a similar model Powercat and it wasn't too far off from my trailer setup. Mine is all rollers everywhere, where you have that guide thing that's sort of like a bunk (?). I might just move my roller/bracket setup over to a new trailer.

Here's a Google Photos album of my photos (and comments) about the underside of this trailer. I think the roller setup works other than that weld quality was hideous and major components were poorly situated- axle in the wrong place and winch too far back- but this might help someone else who inherits a powercat missing a trailer:

photos.app.goo.gl/FRfZMeKRT3TyP9Ro6

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138331

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My inner wooden wedge blocks look and be placed similar to your inside angled rollers. I have 2 on each side. Can’t tell if yours has just one angled roller per side. Seems the serve the same purpose. The rollers are probably better for the hull. I was thinking of running bunks front to back between my 2 wedge blocks. I like to look at all of the non protected metal parts of a trailer that can scratch chunks out of the fiberglass if the trailer sits at a bad angle in the launch or a huge wave or 2 hit the boat as you are loading onto a trailer. I have seen lots of boat damage at the launch when a boat miss aligns and slams metal frames and expose bolt or roller pin heads or even the outside metal of a roller bracket. I notice my 1987 trailer bunks won’t allow the hull to strike the frame even when miss aligned. I did have to add a wide front roller on my 1987 rig because the keel at the front would strike that cross member when the launch dropped the trailer too deep too quickly... and if I pull that bunk trailer back out until the back is correct, the rest of the trailer is too exposed with bunks that I would be afraid to pull out the bow eye. I like your bow catch, but if it were mine, I might tie wrap some of those foam tubes the kids play with at the beach to protect my boat from accidentally hitting all of that exposed metal framing up front. Maybe if you just look where a few wooden guide bunks covered in carpet could be placed to ensure you never strike metal, that could work. I have also seen people use a board mounted sideways across the trailer at the lower front of the sponsons to help the bow rise into place and align with the front bow stops. So the bow doesn’t go under those and scratch up the deck. Lots of trailers fit boats nicely when in place, yet some load easy and others are a pain and scratch up hull because they are so hard to center. Can you reposition your axle for proper tongue weight. My 2 old trailers have axles mounted to angle iron that is pre punched so they can be moved. They also have a pipe tube mounted sideways up front that have dumb bell counter weights that can be changed to adjust tongue weight. Looks like your trailer has lots of potential and seems to be fairly custom fit. Good luck whatever you decide. I have seen a few short cats that people just put on a flat wooden deck covered in marine carpet and the boat fits ever time. Can’t remember if the use modern side post guides. The likely mostly flair it on with minor dragging.

Dr.Go!

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138335

Thanks so much for all those thoughts, it's super helpful to see what other people think of trailer fit for these nontraditional hulls. I'll likely take your advice on a number of points.

Current trailer's main issue is that it's made of inadequate pipe instead of having a proper frame, so it flexes too much- and it's easy enough for me to pick up a better trailer frame for $200 on Craigslist and move some of the components over. Many of those have adjustable mounting for the axle position and winch tower, so hopefully I'll be able to experiment. I'll definitely think about what you said about steep launch ramps and the boat rising up to hit trailer components. Right now my plan is to re-paint the boat, so I'm sure I'll care far more at that point about protecting it.

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138337

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very cool boat and worth protecting with a good trailer. Good luck with finding a good replacement. If you go to the Powercatboats website, you could likely search all of the listings for boats that are or were for sale. Check out the pictures for the 14c foot boats and a few 15 footer called 15c that is a true cat. You can check out all of their trailers and get some ideas. Their T models are triple hulls.

Dr.Go!

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138349

Yeah, this boat is very cute- 14' is tiny and we all look like giants sitting in it.

Ironically I first learned about "fin boats" when we pulled a 50's 15' Powercat out of the dump at my friend's rural land- that hull is still sitting on his lawn and there's a tiny chance it could be restored. I found this Delaney in near-perfect condition a couple of months later and off we go. Still trying to figure out what size motor should go on it (I think that should be a 25HP two-stroke, and I'm not at all set on getting an older period correct one as our boat crew tend to be fans of 1990's Japanese outboards)

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138377

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Power choices are certainly up to whatever you feel works best for you. Seems like some of the Powercat literature showed 45hp rating on some of the 14 foot boats and maybe 60hp on another... maybe take a minute to look at that data in the library. If you only have a couple people in the boat, I would think a 25 could plane out with the right prop. However, if you have a boatload, maybe you want between a 35-50hp??? You will be the only one who can determine how solid that transom is. For sure determine if the boat has a short shaft transom or long shaft so you get the right length motor. If you think it could handle the power, a set of twin 20hp up to maybe twin 40hp would be fun and dependable if you want to spend the cost for a second motor and gas. If one motor fails, the other should get you back to the dock. Not only are twins pretty cool on a cat, but by putting on motor in forward and the other in reverse, docking can be easier in current of a river or when fighting the wind. Like a zero turn lawnmower. Weight would be my biggest concern when selecting any motor... especially if you would consider 2. I don’t know all the engines you are considering, but seems those Yamaha 30hp seem pretty small in size... have heard those tihatsu motors are light for their hp. Also seems there are a ton of those 25 and 35hp Johnson or Evinrude motors out there that are not too expensive and have the underwater exhaust. I think both hp sizes are the same physical size and lighter than those from the 50s or 60s. I always thought a pair of 35s of the years you mention would be fun. Twins would have good power for planing off a load or pulling a skier. Again, only you know your own vision for that boat. Have fun. That little cat is an eye catcher. I also like a small boat at the boat ramp because I can handle it by myself.

Dr.Go!

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138380

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here is one of my favorite motors in a short shaft. The 35hp looks the same. wausau.craigslist.org/bpo/d/1992-evrinrude-25hp/6741122769.html

Dr.Go!

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138384

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I have used small pontoon trailer,and also take all rollers off a tee nee and place 2 2x6 on each side,,works fine Bill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stellargrey

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138385

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Here the pontoon trailer but I also make a 8x8x2ft block in middle to center boat
Attachments:

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138388

Good LORD what a gorgeous boat! Both of them.

Powercat- what does your trailer look like? 5 years 4 months ago #138390

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Seeing them in person is a sight to behold. Great boats, but also great examples how to adapt trailers and further protect your rigs from damage when launching and retrieving! Nice trailer examples, Bill.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'