• Page:

TOPIC: '65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132050

• Dr.Go!
  • Dr.Go!'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 39
PO kept trailer rust free for 50 years. However, the original yellow trailer was brush painted maybe a few times. It would be good enough to leave alone except it was only half painted last round with a different shade of yellow that stands out like you got pulled away mid project. I have no intention to go the show route with sandblast and professional spray paint...and I have minimal talent. That said, should I brush or rattle can spray it? Spray outside means possible a thousand Wisconsin mosquitoes stuck in it. I can brush bug free in garage. Also- do I need to give it a sanding and primer white or gray first to ensure those mismatched yellows don't alter my final yellow coats? Last - is it possible to find original paint codes? Thanks to any and all who can help. It has factory red rims that I hope to put the chrome moons on the clips for my unrestored 1965 Powercat.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dr.Go!

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132092

• bilnan1
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 8
several ways,, you need to sand it for it to stay,i would brush it be fore rattle can,,if you want a yellow the close is 2002 ford,chrome yellow,,if you powder coat they blast it,,but spray ppg single stage,,,but we haul most for rock chips,,my thoughts bill

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132093

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Bill. So if I brush, I should just sand and paint with no primer needed since it already has layers of paint? What grit should I use to get new paint to bite?

Dr.Go!

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132094

I did not sandblast. I wire wheeled the whole frame to bare steel. Some hard places I blasted. I then primered it with PPG sandable primer. I had a full gallon in the basement. I wanted mine gray and it gets used so it is no trailer queen so I brushed it with Rustolium even though I have everything to spray paint it. I plan on doing it again sinse after 4-5 years it is faded but holding up real well. I also installed LED lights and they have been trouble free.
Attachments:

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132095

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Hey Mark, After the past few days of rain and warmer temps those Minnesota skeeters have headed east by the millions. Happens all the time. If one happens to have a death wish and land on your fresh paint leave it alone until the paint drys and then brush it away. Don't try to move it over the wet paint....bad!
I hate painting trailers UUUGHHH. I'd rather do 20 rotten transoms and rewire under a bow on my back with no wiggle room.
Is the trailer sans boat? I always try the easy way for painting but for some reason wind up removing the lights, fenders, old wires, clips, winch stands etc. It's a lot easier to work on and makes for a cleaner job. The trailers I've had usually are rusted or have had several brush painted coats on them where you can see the ridges of old paint. Two ways I found easiest is to remove the junk, put the trailer on a couple of stands and use paint stripper to take it down to bare metal. Just brush it on, let it sit awhile and scrape it off. The other way is to take a knotted wire wheel on my 4" Milwaukee grinder and knock those ridges down, and clean up all the old rust spots.
A rattle can (or two) of sand-able primer will cover the entire trailer and fenders and winch stand and dry fast enough before the skeeters find it. Once it's primed all around it's easy to rattle can on the new color, spraying also gets into those hard to reach places. If you rather go the brush route Rustoleum has matching colors in both brush and spray.
If you go this route you might as well hit a local hardware store and pick up some new bolts and lock washers for the fenders et al. Some extra work but you can probably do the entire trailer for around $35. or less.
These pics show the Rocket trailer after it was stripped and primed. You can see some of the other parts to the right that needed to be cleaned up yet.
The other pictures are of the finished job, this was brush painted with the same Rustoleum that I used on the boat.
Attachments:

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132105

I assume you have seen the Trailcar brochures in the library: www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Trailcar

My two TrailCar boat trailers are a taupe/beige paint colour.

I had a Tee Nee boat trailer sandblasted and painted yellow for about $120.00. Granted that was about ten years ago. Rural shops that need work are economical.

Andreas

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 month ago #132110

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Andreas. I did find my model 1100 that is rated 1100 pound capacity. The brochure showed th '64 models and ''66 models. Mine is a'65. It looks like special brackets were added to standard models to account for the 2 tunnel slots of the Powercat 15T that has the triple sponsons. Interesting steel triangle brackets with wood blocks to keep the hull from bouncing sideways. My dads '66 15T had a different brand trailer with wider and completely flat rollers with side guides instead of tunnel guides. His was white. Since I still have the original red rims with baby moon clips, I will clean those and eventually get the moons because I like the look with yellow trailer. Thanks for all who have offered help and I owe one member a phone call. I think I should make this a fall project so I can get the boat off the trailer and take time to go over the vitals like wiring, look for any stress cracking or possible rusty bolts. I may even ponder adding a second axle...that will be last decision. The trailer is pre-punched to move axle bracket and eventually I will measure if 2 will fit. I sure appreciate the help thus far.

Dr.Go!

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 week ago #132634

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Forgot to ask if there is a Red paint off the shelf that would match the 1965 red rims? Though I do have the original rims (even with original rubber on 3...with one with half the tread shredded off from a "back in the day" good old fashioned blow out. One of the others is so bald, it is almost a slick and the last show how the tires were wearing more on one half. Guess I should check to see if a spindle got bent. Anyway, still want to use the 12" 4 hole red rims with baby moon clips. Not much red will show when done, but might as well do it close to original as I can. The black rim is original red on back side. The first tire is a 8.5 inch from my '58 Wilson. The baby moon would likely cover all but a slim line of exposed red paint.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 week ago #132635

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Mark, Why use those old rims. Fleet Farm has new tires mounted on four hole rims for just a couple bucks more than the tires alone. Save yourself the grief of taking the old rubber off and then putting in new tubes and putting on a new tire without punchin' a hole in the new tube. Then clean one of the oldies up and use it for a spare. The rims look almost identical. Might even find some with the hub cap clips. That's what I put on the Tee Nee for the Shell Lake above.

'65 TrailCar trailer repaint questions 1 year 1 week ago #132647

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Since I had not messed with the, I forgot that likely those were tube tires. For now, I do have new modern cross spoke galvanized rims and new tires on the cat. I don't even know if old rims like that are sealed well enough for a tubeless tire because they look lik 2 piece rims and that makes me think they could easily leak. Maybe I will consider going your route and turn my galvanized set into spares for both trailers. I also need to check my 8.5" because those look really good and lots newer... maybe tubeless and not even original rims as th Wilson was still in use by previous owner up to 2009....yikes 8 years and many other projects got in front of that one. I was just considering the re-use/re-cycle mentality and also was looking for the hub cap look. I will search the Iola car show this weekend to see if some pop up. Though I have not yet shown my boats on their trailers, they do spend lots of time on there... and hence want it to look decent.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

7-1/2 Hp Johnson
( / Engines)

7-1/2  Hp Johnson
07-16-2018