Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wondering if it's original.

Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125401

This trailer was under my G-3 which was under a pile of brush for about 30 years. I'm wondering if it's original to the boat. It's a 1960 G-3 Center Deck that I'm building next year. I doubt those rims are original but I could be wrong. I believe I read here that the factory never supplied trailers and that the dealers matched up boats and trailers at point of sale but with no ID anywhere on it that I can see I'm just curious.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re: Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125406

it was a different time then...factories and dealers did whatever they wanted...and might change their minds at any time...looks like it could be the original to me!

Re: Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125407

Thanks. I was going to cut a few feet off the neck to extend the trailer for my 1960 Humber Regal but I'm thinking twice about it now. It's in surprisingly good shape under that surface rust and flaking paint but I think I'll replace the runners. Could you tell me the best material for that ? It's just 2" X 4" 's ( and it's old, they are ACTUAL 2 X 4 "s and not 1 and a 1/2 by 3 and a 1/2) covered in a short pile carpet. I wonder if this would be a good application for those recycled plastic 2 X 4 ' s they tried to sell us renovators on back in the early 90's. They never rot but they get soft in direct sunlight and need more support than real wood. Hmm.

Re: Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125408

be sure to look inside anything that is boxed as well as you can, as they tend to rust from the inside out....

Re: Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125413

I took a trim hammer to it after I finished powerwashing the whole thing. I tapped everything I could reach and I got to most of it. I think the midden heap kind of protected it. :). New bearings and tires are a must and all the wiring is trashed but it's all small stuff. Grinding it all down to metal so I can paint it pretty is going to be a pain. Thanks for the tip.

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125416

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have the trailers that I redo sand blasted. may cost a bit more but you do not have all the time involved, and the chance of getting stuff in your eyes. and the cost of the grinding dics. and you will get the rust off of the places that grinding will not. just my thoughts. greg

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125429

I have a small mediablaster that is good for the spots I can't reach with a wheel and since I have nothing but time and very little money I tend to do things for myself. I'd like to just acid dip the thing if I had the money but for my intents and purposes I have enough tools to get by. Thanks for the tip though Greg :)

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125538

Have you repacked the bearings in a trailer like this Greg ? Or are they pull and replace ? I've got two trailers to do before I haul anything anywhere. :)

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125550

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have repacked and replaced them, in my opinion replace them and put on bearing buddies . the old bearings were in water and they do get rusty then they set for acouple of years they get real pitted. just replace them and keep the buddies greased. greg

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125551

most likely standard 1" bearings/hubs can be found at most farm type stores...and the original were repackable

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125552

That's what I'll do then. Both trailers got here okay but I just can't or won't have any faith in them until I've rebuilt them. Thanks for the help Greg.

Re:Wondering if it's original. 7 years 7 months ago #125563

Around here that means either TSC or Princess Auto but both probably have them. Thanks for the help :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat