• Page:

TOPIC: Bent TeePee

Bent TeePee 8 years 1 month ago #120758

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Cold weather keeping me from boat work but I need to repair a busted up TEE PEE. Body work can straighten out the bent front end and edges but How do you guys fix up torn out holes?, I was thinking of hammering them flat and then welding washers on the backside to make new holes. Thoughts??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bent TeePee 8 years 1 month ago #120763

I think your idea of welding it up is the best one for the test of time.
I take a piece of copper pipe six or eight inches long get a big hammer now smash this piece of copper flat. Use this pieces as a backing block for the hole then weld the hole closed. If you can hold this copper I n place with a vice grips. After welding grind it flat add a little faring compound on each side and paint.

D

Re:Bent TeePee 8 years 1 month ago #120764

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sounds good to me. I'm not a very good welder, matter of fact I'm a lousy welder. Just have an older Lincoln wire feed for honey do projects. Tell me more about the copper. Assuming that the weld will not stick to that therefore helping the weld to puddle?

Re:Bent TeePee 8 years 1 month ago #120768

Your right the weld will never t stick to the copper.
You don't need to be a really good welder to accomplish this task. Just grind the area clean. Then add a small weld each time by pulling the trigger and letting go then do the same again and again till you puddle your way across the opening. Weld in any holes you missed. Grind it down.
By continually pulling and releasing the trigger you do not build up enough heat to burn thru your sheet metal.
Drill a hole in something else and try it.

Re:Bent TeePee 8 years 4 weeks ago #120863

Yes make a welding copper if you have to. Take your time it's not a race. I used to run submerged arc welders at the Pullman Standard Plant in Butler. We used massive coppers under most of our welds.I also hand weld and have a spool welder.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6272 guests and one member online