Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay?

Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay? 8 years 6 months ago #114987

Can you take a look at the attached pic I drew and give me your opinion as to whether this configuration is acceptable? I have a Long (brand name) trailer from the early 90s and I believe this was the OEM setup, but I just wanted to check. The stabilizer is one of those straight kind, not the triangle kind.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay? 8 years 6 months ago #115058

That's pretty much a standard configuration for tandem axles, my float, boat & dump trailer all have the same setup. I'd say you're good!

Cheers

Bill

Re:Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay? 8 years 6 months ago #115328

Thanks. I wasn't sure how the front spring could extend under load, given it was a double eye. I guess the swing arm transfers the increased length to the back spring, and ultimately to the slipper. Although, if the rear spring flexes at the same time, it wall transfer to the slipper and also the swing arm, so I'm not sure how both springs would work together if both axles flex at the same time.

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole setup.

Re:Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay? 8 years 6 months ago #115335

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Well, I don't think thats right on the front double eye with that type equalizer. Read on and a link showing more and the equalizer for double eyes that is diff from what you have envisioned. Need 2 single eye springs.

Slipper Leaf Springs

Slipper springs have an eye formed in one end only with the other end formed into a reverse curve. The attachment of these springs is a follows:

The front eye is attached directly into the front hanger with a bolt and nut.
The rear end of the spring is captured in the rear hanger or equalizer with a "keeper bolt" that prevents the spring from coming out when the trailer is jacked up for service.

The articulation of this suspension occurs when the rear end of each slipper spring slides against the wear surfaces provided in the rear hangers or equalizers. This suspension is also available in single and multiple axle configurations.

www.cerka.ca/catalog/SUSMAINT.asp
Attachments:

Re:Tandem Axle Spring / Equalizer Configuration okay? 8 years 6 months ago #115345

So I'm thinking I should replace the front double eye with a slipper. Odd thing is that the OEM had the springs the way I posted in the original drawing, though the trailer towed like crap.

If I replace the front with a slipper, should I put the slipper end over the front hanger, or on the swing arm? Guessing the front hanger.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)