Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library)

Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114513

• cron78
  • cron78's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Found this stacked in a pile of scrap ready to go to the metal recycle yard, stopped in and cut a deal for scrap value ($30). Had to gather five other guys the next day to help me lift the big heavy dual axle trailer off of it to get it off the scrap trailer. Couldn't tell the make or model when it was buried, and still can't find any ID on it.

Any ideas from you good folks on the make/year? Maybe the winch stand or tongue stand help. It is a tilt, but he tilt is only the back few feet.

I have been looking for a vintage trailer for a '66 Lone Star Tracer I picked up a few months ago. Spent many hours on Craigslist covering the southeast all the way to Minnesota since I was just up in Canada for vacation. Couldn't find what I was hoping to find. This trailer fits the bill (largely because of price) and I just happened to drive by the junk heap on my way to a job site.

BTW, it pulled home great with just one replacement wheel needed, but both have been replaced. Will do the bearings/races next even though the hubs barely got warm on the pull home. Springs and axle look great.

Plan to take the bent fender to the local vo-tech school body shop for repair.

Thanks for any help on the ID.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114514

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Tried to add photos...gotta do so via replies, I guess...Think I figured it out.

Any idea what the square angled tube on the back is for?
Attachments:

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114527

It looks like a Lone Star Road King to me, check out 1958 in the Library.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114531

Would that ever be near if it matched your boat for that little amount of money.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114539

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Any idea what the square angled tube on the back is for?

Probably a "motor toter" or transom saver, added on at some point.

Mark

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114568

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the replies so far. I am leaning towards a Lone Star Road King but due to the round tube tongue vs. what appears to be rectangular tube tongues in the '57 and '58 catalog cuts I wonder if it isn't from earlier years. The bunks being on the tilt part on this trailer vs. appearing to be outside the tilt bed on the other trailers is different, too. Still searching for the true identity. It would be cool if it is indeed a Lone Star since I'm looking to park a Lone Star on it.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114575

I have a Lone Star trailer that has round tube for the tongue, channel for the main frame and round tube for the tilt portion. I can't remember which model it is, but it has Lone Star tags riveted on in two places. The winch mounts to the tongue and there is a roller on top of the extendable bow stop to get a better cable angle for retrieving the boat over the shoreline. There weren't as many ramps back then so you used to launch and retrieve without getting the wheels wet.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114584

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Essayon,

Can you post a pic(s) of your trailer? I'd like to see if/where it is similar to my possible Lone Star trailer. Also, where on yours are the tags riveted?

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114618

I will try to get photos tonight. If I remember right the tags are on the drivers side, one near the winch stand and the other on the front angle of the main frame.

Re:Trailer ID (Don't see it in the library) 8 years 6 months ago #114668

Thanks again to frogman for finding this trailer for me. There are many differences between these trailers. Mine has a tube frame except for the rear cross member, where yours is just the opposite. I have a catalog picture of mine that is not in the Glassics Library. I can't remember the year right now. I think this trailer was used with a short tongue for years then lengthened for a different boat. The two tubes were frozen with rust so the tongue was cut off with a torch and welded back together with angle iron for braces. This same tag is on the frame in the last photo. The white rollers were added when the 2x4 bunk brackets were cut off.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)