• Page:

TOPIC: Power Cat Enthusiasts?

Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #893

• Beachboy
  • Beachboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Any other PC guys/gals out there? I've got a '73 16T that is way more fun than anything I've owned before. Anyone else?

Beachboy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #896

Oh yeah... I've got a 14c... and a 16T.. Both in project stage. Were you at the Lake Degray meet this past fall?

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #940

Yep! Love my 15t. Got a 1970 Merc 135 tower on it and it is stable as a rock, runs 50 with just me in it and handles light chop like it isn't there. Mine doesn't qualify for 70's glass though, it's from around 1966.

I'm trying like heck to make Lake Degray this year!

Bernie

Re: Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #958

• Beachboy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not sure where that lake is? I'm up here in the farthest reaches of the NW continental USA (Washington State).

BTW Power Cats were waaaaay ahead of their time and the T is definitely part of the evolution. Any PC T is welcome to hang with us on the 70's forum!

Beachboy

Re: Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #960

DeGray is in Arkanss. The Powercat group had a meet there last fall. I went but was boatless for the trip. Had a great time. I remembered a red cat like yours but I see now it wasn't you. I believe I saw your restoration photos on the PC site. Beautiful boat.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re: Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #961

I have 2 Powercat 14Ts. Early 60s models. Hope to get one running this summer. Mine are solid boats that need TLC, new steering, and to decide what engine to run. Clint

Re: Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #978

classicfins wrote:

DeGray is in Arkanss. The Powercat group had a meet there last fall. I went but was boatless for the trip. Had a great time. I remembered a red cat like yours but I see now it wasn't you. I believe I saw your restoration photos on the PC site. Beautiful boat.

The red and white Pcat you saw at Degray was one of the Louisiana Gatlin Brothers boats...WAAYYYY nicer than mine, with a V6 on the back. I kinda 'borrowed' his paint scheme. The hull sides are similar but the deck is different. His interior is fantastic.

Thanks, Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #983

• Beachboy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I love seeing pictures of these old girls. Clint lives up by me and picked up a couple of solid little 14s for a song. up in this part of the country nobody really knows what they are all about, so if you can find one they're usually a bargain. Clint why don't you post some pictures of your 14s?

Oldskier, I love that signature picture of your red & white flyer. So are you running a chopper prop on yours? Looks like there is only about three feet of hull touching the water in that shot!

I'm still learning how to drive my boat. I don't know if anyone else has the porpoising phenomenon, but mine does it between about 25-35 mph. Above 35 and she smooths right out. Below 25 and there's nothing. Put a Doel-fin on the cavitation plate of my black stack and the problem went away.

I still like cruising above 35 mph though. Clint who is a big man had a white white knuckle run with me on a choppy day last Summer in excess of 50 mph. Not bad for a 115 (@ prop) running a 20" Laser II.

Any of you guys have any other boats?

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #984

Beachboy wrote:

I love seeing pictures of these old girls. Clint lives up by me and picked up a couple of solid little 14s for a song. up in this part of the country nobody really knows what they are all about, so if you can find one they're usually a bargain. Clint why don't you post some pictures of your 14s?

Oldskier, I love that signature picture of your red & white flyer. So are you running a chopper prop on yours? Looks like there is only about three feet of hull touching the water in that shot!

I'm still learning how to drive my boat. I don't know if anyone else has the porpoising phenomenon, but mine does it between about 25-35 mph. Above 35 and she smooths right out. Below 25 and there's nothing. Put a Doel-fin on the cavitation plate of my black stack and the problem went away.

I still like cruising above 35 mph though. Clint who is a big man had a white white knuckle run with me on a choppy day last Summer in excess of 50 mph. Not bad for a 115 (@ prop) running a 20" Laser II.

Any of you guys have any other boats?

I have a regular merc 17p on mine. Haven't tried anything other than a 21 which was way too tall for my boat. The 17 gives a great hole shot and I had to add a doel fin on mine too. Here's a bigger shot of the boat at speed.

Thanks, Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #1001

• Beachboy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Oldskier,

I'm sure you could run a 19" with that 135 stack. My 115 stack is rated at 140 hp at the crank which is likely the same engine as yours. Perfect size engine for a 16T (JMO). I tried a 19" on mine and got full 6,000 rpm. Tried a 21" and dropped to 5,200 rpm, so for me (and you too it sound like) the 21 is too agressive.

The 20" Laser II which has higher rake than stock allows me to get to 5,700 rpm which is just fine. Fastest speed so far at perfect trim in a slight chop was 53 mph on the GPS. Reality is it's a solid 50 mph boat at WOT.

As we all know these boats can run at 70 mph or more with a bigger engine, but I personally feel right at home at 50.

Is your boat a 16 or 17?

Beachboy

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #1022

Beachboy, I think you are correct about a 19p, I just don't have an accurate tach. At 50 GPS the tach is saying 5400 with the 17p. That works out to a negative slip factor on the prop calculator with the 1:76/1 gear that's supposed to be in there. With a 10% slip figured in it works out to about 6200 (I think) which is more realistic, and SOUNDS more correct. The 50 GPS is repeatable but not sustainable, I really cringe to hear it scream although most Merc inline guys say it won't hurt it.

They say the 15t is supposed to be about 15 ft. but I have never put a tape measure to it. The hull is supposed to be the same as a 16t with a 15" transom instead of a 20".

I'm guessing about 105-110 hp at the propshaft with the old 135, but this one has never been rebuilt so it may be down a few HP. It does still have 140-145 lbs. of compression on all 6 holes though.

I sure would like to see a few more pics of your Pcat....It appears to be all red, which is what I had planned when I was building mine until I got on the Pcat site and saw some of the two-tone boats. Two-tone is kinda 'period correct' I guess for a 60's boat.

Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #1254

Oh man, I love those Power Cats !! I've been looking for one 17 feet or bigger to hang some twins on for big water lakes. Seen this one all white one in Muscatine Iowa 2007 at Muscatine boat show and fell in love. Any leads appreciated, I'm in Spartanburg South Carolina.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 2 months ago #1499

• Beachboy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Fireflight, that is a pretty cat! Love those lines and those white Mercs. Have you been over to the Power cat site? Great bunch of enthusiats over there. They take their cats real serious and if there's a cat to be found they'r be able to tell you where one is.

I agree, the 17 is an excellent size. I have a 16 with a 20" transom so I'm ok, but I always thought a 17 would be fun. Keep in touch and let us know if you find something you can't live without?

Beachboy
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #1975

Hey Bernie:
I just noticed the seats in your cat...
Those look pretty cool, who makes those?
Regards,
Danny Leger

Oldskier wrote:

Yep! Love my 15t. Got a 1970 Merc 135 tower on it and it is stable as a rock, runs 50 with just me in it and handles light chop like it isn't there. Mine doesn't qualify for 70's glass though, it's from around 1966.

Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2028

Danny, I hope I'm not double posting, seemed like my 1st reply disappeared.

The seats are from a wholesaler called Donovan Marine, Part # 484840. My son works for a boat dealer and ordered them for me. They are about $100 retail. What I really like about them is they are VERY light. About 7 or 8 lbs each.

Bernie

powercat wrote:

Hey Bernie:
I just noticed the seats in your cat...
Those look pretty cool, who makes those?
Regards,
Danny Leger

Oldskier wrote:

Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2036

Gee, I'm glad I found you PC guys. Who woulda thought I'd have to look at the 70's Disco-fiber forum?

Mine is a '62 that I hope to hang my '63 Merc1000 w/merc PT&T on this spring/summer. Built a 20" transom on the 14T, and have a standard shaft motor. Will start with a 19 pitch 3 blade prop I have. Got a tach and gps to see how I do. Can't wait!

Bernie, I see Donovan only sells to the marine trade. Wonder where I could find seats like that? I have back problems, how are they for support?

Here's my project: www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

I'm hoping to move it along in the spring with a spray gun instead of brush.

Frank

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2037

Frank, Here is a link to a supplier on line and the seats look to be almost identical. Mine have a cut out at the top of the seat back, these don't.

www.boatseatsonline.com/products/details.php?r=273

My son ordered mine from the boat dealership he works for. A local dealer could get you some. I ordered the all white ones. I'm comfortable with mine.

Bernie

PC1000 wrote:

Gee, I'm glad I found you PC guys. Who woulda thought I'd have to look at the 70's Disco-fiber forum?

Mine is a '62 that I hope to hang my '63 Merc1000 w/merc PT&T on this spring/summer. Built a 20" transom on the 14T, and have a standard shaft motor. Will start with a 19 pitch 3 blade prop I have. Got a tach and gps to see how I do. Can't wait!

Bernie, I see Donovan only sells to the marine trade. Wonder where I could find seats like that? I have back problems, how are they for support?

Here's my project: www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

I'm hoping to move it along in the spring with a spray gun instead of brush.

Frank

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2038

Thanks Bernie, we'll see. That's about all I need to finish the boat. Well, I will need a new battery I guess...

Frank

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2047

Will try to send picture of my 14T seats in 1961 Powercat. They appear to be stock according to brochures. Clint
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2083

Clint:
Yep yours are original, as a matter of fact your recent photos
are some of the best ones showing how a 14t deluxe all original
should look. I plan to include them in a revision of the page
for the 14t model as descriptive.
Danny Leger
Austin, Texas

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2095

For those of you who may surf in here and not know, Powercat (Danny Ledger) is the son of Ray Ledger, creator and owner of the original Powercat boat company. He is also proprietor of the Powercatboat.com website, where the most amazing resurgence of a defunct boat brand is occurring that I have ever heard of. Danny has provided support, information and resources for Powercat owners and wannabe owners that is invaluable to us.

These things just KEEP coming out of back lots, barns, boat yards and junk yards and getting put back on the water. There's a bunch of 'ol Nichols boys (and friends) over in Arkansas that are responsible for about a dozen of 'em by themselves.

Thanks Danny.

Bernie

Re:Power Cat Enthusiasts? 14 years 1 month ago #2103

Danny, If you need any specific pictures let me know. I am also on the Powercat forum where you do a great job. Clint

Digging the Power Cat out... 14 years 1 month ago #2211

Gonna keep chipping away at this over the weekend in between working on the motor and different boat stuff. I want to be able to get at the boat as soon as the weather cooperates. This bank is a result of our plow guy, and in part I want to move this in case we get dumped on again!

Frank

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)