Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: School me on a 73 Sidewinder

School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87109

Im new here and hoping for any info a boat I am going to look at this weekend. Seller told me it a 17' 1973 Sidewinder, from what I've been able to find on it i believe is a 16'. The power plant is a Mercruiser 120 does this have the power for wakeboarding? I live on canal that connects to a lake and I am thinking about buying it for an all around toy for the lake. The 2 curiosities I have is he claims it the original interior but I've never seen those seats before and the rear seats are clearly missing, also the trim solenoid is out he claims and that the trim functions if you jump it back at the motor.

Any advice, insight, or wild stab at value I would appreciate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87129

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Linden, glad to have you join us. Those are definitely not the original seats IMHO, although they may have been in there when the current owner bought the boat? We have a couple members here much more familiar with the Sidewinders, maybe they can provide some pics of the original layout.

If you have to jump the tilt/trim motor at the stern, there is a relay or possibly a switch that needs replaced. Not that big of a deal, but should be addressed ASAP if you do get the boat! Jumping the motor can be dangerous (sparks), inconvenient, and can damage the terminals (arcing). If the pump/motor and rams are in good shape, that's the main thing as they are much more expensive to repair or replace.

That's way too big of a battery, and it's not properly tied down. Should actually be in a battery box as well. Another safety item that should be addressed IMO.

I'll let the gang with more experience on the I/O's comment on the 120, but I would think it would be sufficient for water sports as long as you don't try to pull multiple people at one time?

Value is whatever you and the seller can work out as fair for both parties, I don't think I'd go over about $1500 to $1800 and that's if the motor and drive check out okay. Just my two cents worth, others may have different opinions. ;)

Mark

Re:School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87137

Welcome to the site. Those are fun boats. I had one with a 140 hp outboard on it. The interior is not originol. It looks like after market seats. Run it for awhile then drop a V8 in it.

Re:School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87182

Ive owned several, lookin at that floor- paint job- Ide say its very rough, rotten stringers will ruin your day......look close and only buy with a test drive, look at the bellows , between the drive and the hull, it will cost 800+ to replace if they are old and dryrotten. ide only give 3-400 for a boat in this cond. there is one in indianapolis just like it for 800.00 on c/list with org seats etc. also google sidewinder club. and get a peek of what that boat should look like.....

Re:School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87187

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Back in the Eighties I had a Sidewinder 16-SS with a 1350 Merc, what a fun boat that was!

Here's the link to the best Sidewinder site on the Web:

www.sidewinder-boats.com/portal/windertalk/index.php

Lots of good info there. Go to the "portal page" to check the latest activity.

Cheers........ed
Attachments:

Re:School me on a 73 Sidewinder 10 years 4 months ago #87191

This was my 1974 Sidewinder. That is definitely not the original interior. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of this boat.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6459 guests and no members online