• Page:

TOPIC: Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O

Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 5 months ago #86349

• Oldskier
  • Oldskier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been away from the forum for a couple of years, but I have still been playing with my toy boats. I still have my Powercat, I built and sold my Carlson Contender and I finally got my hands on an old favorite of mine from the 70's, a Hydrodyne. I got it in Sept. 2012 and got laid off my job in Oct....I was only there for 37 years but I was thinking of making a career of it. I thought the Hydrodyne project might be 'dead in the water' but I got a job in Feb. (with a massive pay cut...) and I was able to do a low budget build on it. I got the Hydrodyne hull, no motor, trailer, interior or sadly, ski pylon (still haven't figured that problem out...) for $175. The good part was that the balsa core is intact. I separated the hull and deck and replaced the stringers, floor and engine mounts. I bought a donor boat (1978 Silverline, also rotten but with a good motor, out drive and trailer)for $250 and I scavenged everything I could from it. Anyway, here's a few pics.

The last pic was a couple of weeks ago, just a quick water test. It seemed to run OK, I really just went a few hundred yard up the lake a couple of times. Didn't want to go much further than I would like to paddle back....

I have the rub rail on order and hope I will have enough $$$ after the holidays to get a pair of back to back lounge seats.

If anybody knows where there is a ski pylon for one of these, let me know.

Bernie
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 5 months ago #86409

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
A guy here had one in great shape! Avid skier, and it made a great ski boat! Always like the looks the old Hydrodyne! Next time I see him I'll ask about a pylon, but could be tough to find one.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 5 months ago #86413

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Robbie, I'm thinking about getting one made out of chrome moly by a local racecar frame guy and having it powercoated. Need to see if that would save much compared to a real aluminum one. I have asked on the Hydrodyne site and no response, if they had one I'm sure I coudn't afford it!

Good hearing from you.

Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 4 months ago #86883

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Haven't seen him, and probably won't until the boats hit the water in spring. Think the Chrome Moly pipe would work just fine. I still have a piece here 3/4 from building my dragbike frame, but not long enough. I'd go that route! Good Luck! I keep an eye out anyway.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 4 months ago #86965

You should be very proud, what a killer of a boat! What did you power her with?

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 4 months ago #87001

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
gfgarland

Thanks, I am happy about this boat. It is another one I wished I could afford when I was younger. If I get my hands on an Alison 15R and a Glasspar G3 I will have fulfilled all my childhood dreams. (I already rebuilt and sold a Hydrostream Viper and a Carlson Contender).

As my screen name implies, I did a lot of skiing as a young man and hope to do a little more before the rocking chair, and maybe teach my grandkids what we did before...(yech)...wakeboards....

This boat was originally powered with a 165 Mercruiser inline 6. That is what the donor boat had so it is the same setup as it came from the factory with.

Thanks, Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 4 months ago #87002

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Heres a shot with the new rubrail installed (8 bucks a foot...yikes!)

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #87761

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well with the holidays nearly over I was hoping I could move on, get some seating in the boat and hopefully have it ready for next season.

Unfortunately I slipped and fell at work and shattered my right kneecap. They say workmans comp will cover me but since it happened a week and a half ago, not much reliable discussion has occurred, everyone either out for Christmas or covering other peoples position and "will get back to you after the Holiday".

If I do have a complete (or nearly complete) recovery in 6-8 weeks I suspect my bank account will take longer to recover.

For now I'm getting used to using crutches and varying levels of pain. The surgery was quite an experience. At 58 it is the 1st surgery I have ever had.

So I will update as I can, it looks like it may
be a while to get finished.

Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #87764

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very sorry to hear about your accident Bernie, that sounds painful. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, friend!

Mark

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #87779

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sucks Bernie! Laid up July and August with Sciatica myself this summer. Bitch when all ya can do is "look at the parked boats"!

Heal up....yep on the cash flow though. Wish the best, Robby..

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #87942

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks guys. Painful is right Mark...there's a reason why the Mafia works on kneecaps. I guess if it had to happen, mid winter is better than mid summer, huh Robbie? If all goes well and I am able to get back to work in Feb. it will be alright before next boating season. Don't like some of the internet info on recovery from a shattered kneecap though, hope I get to keep my job....gotta walk if I'm gonna work...and gotta do it before they decide to replace me.

Thanks, Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #87970

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hard to tell any outcome. Friend mine back Illinois had his knee worked on, and its simple didn't come out right. 8 months still pain. First doc was a basic butcher I guess. Went to see a good sports doc..(works with the Chitown Bears), and replaced again. Well, he back to dancing with the wife, as he pushing high 60's age!

Did a stupid on the knee myself few back. Testing an 110 volt electric motor from a lawn mower. Didn't have it in a vise and plugged it in. Jumped off the bench, damn near tore my knee cap off. OUCH! 911, 37 stitches later and months of "no bend", back to normal. Wish the best outcome, but takes time.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #88079

I may be able to help you out with the pylon although outboards is where I am more comfortable with. Hydrodyne had lots of pylons over the years. Do you have an old pylon or a picture?

Dyna-Ski Pete
Attachments:

Dyna-Ski Pete

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #88081

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Pete, Heres a pic of what I need.

www.hydrodyners.com/forum/index.php?attachments/img113-jpg.2640/

Thanks, Bernie
Attachments:

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 3 months ago #88103

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jezz, I had forgotten just how cool the old "Dyne's" looked!

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 2 months ago #89112

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ordered a set of back to back lounge seats from ebay (Great Lakes Skipper) and got a racehorse deal, both seats $425, free shipping.

Anyway, it has been the coldest winter I have ever experienced here in the Tennessee mountains, many mornings below zero (as low as -8) during January. Only remember below zero (-2) temps one or two times since I moved here in 1979. I guess if you are gonna have a broken knee cap that's the kind of weather for it, couldn't do much outdoors anyway.

I am now up and stumping around like Chester on Gunsmoke so I will be poking around with putting these seats in.

It is supposed to be near 50 degrees today, so now that global warming has returned, I may get to play boat a little.

Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 2 months ago #89115

Glad you are healing up.Looking forward to seeing you finish that beautiful boat.I too am waiting for winters grip to release(Montana).So I can get back to my boat.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 10 years 2 months ago #89138

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Dozer, Thanks. Normally I would feel bad for you regarding winter in Montana. The fact is that we have had the kind of temps that you normally have.

I got some measurements for the seats (need to cut the base of these seats down drastically with the low free board on the Dyne) and it felt good to be outside. It was 43 and I was in shirt sleeves and broke a sweat. That is normal daytime temp this time of year here and it is supposed to hold for the next week.

Hope you get an early spring and are able to get back on it.

Bernie

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 11 months ago #93500

Hello, summer.
So how is the project going Bernie?
I am getting ready to wash off the the boat and head to the water. hows the hydrodyne project doing? I have serious spring fever. Putting new tires on the trailer and headed to the nearest water. Give us an update.
James

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 11 months ago #94360

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well I did get healed up about 95 %....thats when they found the 3 foot long blood clot in the leg....
Oh well, take the blood thinners and get over it....
I did get the interior installed, and then took it to a shop to get the bellows replaced in the outdrive. I waited a little too long, got it in a couple of weeks ago, just in time for the spring rush. I looked at some Youtube vids of doing the job and decided I would rather complain about how long it is taking than complain about what a miserable job it is....
Hope to have it back soon.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95595

Sorry to hear of your clot. Hope you r healing well. I still have not made it to the lake. The weather here is very unstable during this time of year. So, I sit and stare at the cruiser sitting in the drive way. we may try to run down to the lake and drop the boat in tomorrow. Hopefully the weather holds. Looking forward to more updates and pics of the boat.
heal up quick summer is here.
James

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95655

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well I got the Dyne back finally and went for a ride yesterday. The 4.1L six cylinder is amazingly smooth and has gobs of low end torque. I have a 19p prop on it and think I need a 21. It is running out of power at about 4k RPM, but it feels like it could pull stumps.

I also got the old Powercat out last weekend. It ran great and I had a good time. Almost seems as if it runs better because it is jealous of the Hydrodyne getting all the love lately....

James, I hope you start to get some better weather up there and get to go boating.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95693

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oldskier wrote:

Well I got the Dyne back finally and went for a ride yesterday. The 4.1L six cylinder is amazingly smooth and has gobs of low end torque. I have a 19p prop on it and think I need a 21. It is running out of power at about 4k RPM, but it feels like it could pull stumps.

I also got the old Powercat out last weekend. It ran great and I had a good time. Almost seems as if it runs better because it is jealous of the Hydrodyne getting all the love lately....

James, I hope you start to get some better weather up there and get to go boating.

Knee all healed up now?

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95769

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Robbie, I am real pleased with the progress on my knee. I'd say it's 90% at this point. I'm just crazy enough I might try skiing this season. Nothing much more pathetic than an old fat man trying to relive his youth but I'm gonna try anyway if I can get my son to drive it.

How are you doing? Had the flatty in the water this season?

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95770

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
This double post thing with the smart phone edits is bugging me.....

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95858

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oldskier wrote:

Hey Robbie, I am real pleased with the progress on my knee. I'd say it's 90% at this point. I'm just crazy enough I might try skiing this season. Nothing much more pathetic than an old fat man trying to relive his youth but I'm gonna try anyway if I can get my son to drive it.

How are you doing? Had the flatty in the water this season?

I'm hanging in there! Got the 20 footer gassed and ready for the slip, next be fire the Flatty, and get it wet. Wanna try some mods I did last year, but with Sciatica side lining me most summer, it never did see wet. Not gonna happen this year!
Attachments:

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95876

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Got the graphics put on and took it to the lake. Takes some getting used to having a car motor in the boat with you, I'm an outboard guy. Seems to have gobs of low end, running a 19p and seems like it could pull a 21p without much strain. Heres a few pics.

I found a ski pylon in Washington state from a guy who claimed to be parting out a tournament skier, but it seems like the guy really doesn't want to sell, or he just doesn't want to hassle with shipping it. So close and so far away....these things make hobby horse poop seem easy to find....

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95885

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Where in WA? I'm in Olympia, and maybe it could come here? Next, I ship to you, be on the way to you. Shoot me a email at
Damn, that puppy looks gorgeous! BUT need that ski pole! Help ya out if I can the "pylon". And no sweat going skiing..just drop off one ski, slalom with the "knew knee" rear! And aint no such thing as "old and fat", dragging back youth? ?????..(I never lost mine..yet!..and still at it. Be well friend...Wish the best..Robby

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95889

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks man. The area code is right (253) but who knows? I'll call him again and see whats up. And email ya if we can work anything out.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95890

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
253 is Seattle, north me 60/90 miles. But 253 covers a lot of ground. If it can possible be brought down to Olympia, maybe I can help ya. I could meet him in town, as I'm pretty rural. But have drop off known people town. Who knows..give it a shot...lemeno..

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95892

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Robbie. The dude is in Tacoma but he is having separation anxiety..."If I sell the pylon then I'll have to scrap the boat"...
Uh...yeah, thats why you put it on Craiglist, right?
Anyway, he said he would call me if he wants to sell it.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95914

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The Hydrodyne turned out gorgeous Bernie, nice work! I always thought they had a "factory pro-stock" look to 'em, guess it's the old motor head in me coming out? :P

Mark

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95940

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well if he does decide to sell it, even then I probably couldn't help much in shipping..(it seems pretty bulky to pack). He could do the same as I would. You would have to arrange shipping FedEx/UPS, then he can simple drop it off and let the shipping firm handle it. Heck, I dunno. Maybe just be easier to fab one up, powder coat it, and be done with it.

I imagine you are aware this website too. Ask around over there if anybody has one F/S.

www.hydrodyners.com/forum/index.php

(Whoops, never mind..see have posted there...)neat site! Lots interesting reading!

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95943

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Mark, I thought the same thing....thats a pro-stock hood scoop sticking up over the motor. That and the drivers nacelle are what I thought were cool.

Robbie, Yeah I might take the boat and some pics of the pylon to a metal fab guy....just a shame that pylon will probably lay there in Tacoma. Most people think they will rebuild their boat and just don't have a clue where to start. Personally I'd rather see him restore the boat but I bet it never happens.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 9 years 10 months ago #95944

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yep, seen many here that people say "I'll restore it soon". Years later, still sitting there. Know a guy here with all kinds of old boats/motors. Even has a 26 foot sailboat thats been sitting in the marina slip 3/4 years now, and he never even uses it.

Too bad you don't live near (Illinois) friend mine. Owns a fab shop, and he's a wizard with metal! He could whip up a nice SS piece, and be better than new. Somehow it will all come together for you. Seen the progress you have done so far, and I'm impressed!

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 7 years 9 months ago #123965

• Oldskier
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
After all this time, I got my pylon done. Bought a Harbor freight hydraulic tube bender and some T6061 .125 wall aluminum tubing, and had a friend weld it up.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 7 years 9 months ago #123967

Very nice.

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 7 years 9 months ago #123974

That's a very cool boat.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 7 years 9 months ago #124007

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So it finnaly has a pylon! Nice work! (Hard to believe this was 2 years ago started!)

Re:Hydrodyne Skier 18 I-O 7 years 9 months ago #124012

She's beautiful. Can you tell me the name of that color ?

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6662 guests and one member online