• Page:

TOPIC: 1970 VIP steering issue

1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84371

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Okay I picked up this cheap(right)1970 16' VIP bow rider. It came with a 1963 Evinrude 40HP select shift motor and single cable steering. Well the 40HP had some issues so I repowered with a 1976 Johnson 70HP. it runs great except for remote cable hookup.
While working on it today I noticed that the motor will turn starboard side of the boat but very little to the port is there some way to adjust this. It worked fine on the old 40hp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84373

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I just had a n epiphany in the shower a piece of 5/16 all thread and 2 heim joints will give me an adjustable linkage.

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84379

On a 76 motor you would hook up directly to the tilt tube on the motor.--Then with a linkage back to the steering arm.--Research required here.

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84384

Hi,
Adjustment is allowed by loosening the clamp bolts for the support tube of the transom mount, and repositioning (to starboard or port) the tube in the clamp. However, full lock to lock steering of your Evinrude is probably not possible as connected. The best connection would be via the "through the tilt tube" method as the Professor mentions. A longer steering cable (to reach to the tilt tube) plus the link arm assembly would be needed though. Please write me directly if I be helpful or provide some quotes.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84393

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Joe and the Professor.
I started to fabricate a steering link last night and will try the adjustment per Joe. By the way Joe the starter motor you got me for the 400 Merc works great, it starts so easy now.
I probably need a new steering cable anyway as the plastic casing on this one is very brittle. The cable runs smoothly in it but the casing is falling off. I do not know however if the steering box is a Morse or Teleflex. I cannot find any label on the steering box itself.

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84409

You might want to check-out some of the inexpensive steering link arm assemblies we have on our site. You could e-mail me some pictures of the steering helm to allow identification.
Great to hear that the starter has been pleasing, thank you again.

Best Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84444

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Joe. I will email you some pictures of the Helm. I will include one of them here. With some adjustment I was able to make it go equally to each side but the amount of travel is not nearly enough.
Attachments:

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 6 months ago #84483

Thank you for the picture. You have a vintage Teleflex rotary helm there. Unfortunately the cost of a replacement cable assembly will nearly match purchasing a steering kit. Note that the diameter of the bezel on the modern helms is larger in diameter, so if existing gauges or switches are mounted quite close to the present bezel, there may be an issue with the new one. Please write to me directly if I can offer you a quote.

Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:1970 VIP steering issue 10 years 5 months ago #85467

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I received everything I needed to Hook up the steering through the tilt tube However i ran into a small problem. I will either need to remove the motor or drill a new hole in the splashwell.. How much and sharp of a bend is allowed?
The edge of the current hole is about 3 1/2 inches from the transom and the tube is 7 1/2 inches from the edge of the transom cut out. The current hole is 4 inches in diameter. According to the cable you are supposed to have a minnimum of an 8" radius bend.
I had thought of enlarging the current hole to 5 inches in diam or making it rectangular but I haven't found a rectangular boot.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)