Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic!

TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81790

As a 'raised on wood' child, this new purchase has taken some serious soul searching, but I'm excited! My '60 Thompson Sea Coaster now has a new zipcode and I am soon to be the owner of a 16.5' 1974 Glasspar Cutlass(?)with a 115 hp Evinrude. Boat, motor and trailer were purchased new as a package and we're buying as the third owner, nearly the second as the seller is merely an intermediary from the original owners.
I'd love to get anyone's imput on this boat Hope my questions are not too ignorant!
nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3906049597.html
We've done the test ride, looked her over well, will have the local marine guys do a compr test (was told this was paramount)the motor is quiet, sweet and responsive. Everything looks really good,.. she's in need of a good cleaning, but upholstery is actually mint, not a tear, or stain, cushions are plump..Floor feels good, but is carpeted, there is a ski well but the owners didn't use it so they put plywood over it when they replaced the carpet. Didn't really check the transom as well as we should as she was in the water, but we've reserved final decision for that out of the water inspection, along with the bottom.
With that fuel tank being under that bulkhead in front of the motor, do we need to be concerned about how to replace it if it leaks someday? Have never dealt with a built in tank before...
The gel coat is a bit dull, but not scratched or dinged..The canvas is supposedly excellent, but we will check it out when she's pulled...Trailer is excellent, need minor (new carpet on one skid) attention, tires are new...not important things, but...
As a former woodie, what do I look for as to 'soft spots'? Fiberglass has 'rot' just like wood, doesn't it? there is no exterior damage to the boat at all, anywhere, but can it still have rot?
Although excited, I'm nervous too, my woodie has some hidden issues that we had to get fixed, and it was depressing. So am trying to take more caution here..
Also don't know if I have the model name right, since I know nothing about the Glasspar line other than knowing it was a good maker..
Any other personal imput on this boat would be deeply appreciated!!!
Thanks for a great website, I've already learned alot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81805

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a very similar boat, a 1975 Glasspar Cutlas model 191. (Glasspar spelled Cutlas with one s.) The 191 means that my boat is 19 feet and one inch long, not counting any protruding hardware such as ladders, etc. Your boat should have two "thingys" facing ourboard at about midship on each side showing the model number, which should closely match the length.

Although the boat is fiberglass, it has a lot of wood in it, including stringers, frames, inner transom, deck, dashboard backing, side shelf panels, seat supports, etc. Any of these can have problems, so should be checked thoroughly. Strictly speaking, fiberglass doesn't rot, but the wood under it certainly can, and some fiberglass can develop spots (bumps or bubbles) that sort of act like rot. Look it up under "fiberglass deterioration" or something like that.

Your original fuel tank was probably metal, but may have been replaced already due to rust. Doing so is not a big deal. Probably access is through removing one of the seats.

There are a lot of very helpful people on this website. Just try to provide as much information as possible, including pictures related to your specific questions. You'll have a great time.

P. S. I can't get on the referenced website to see the boat or the details.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81821

Arghh! The seller must have removed the ad by the time this was posted. I'll have photos on Thursday when we do our out of the water inspection.
How did you boat ride in rougher water? On our ride test, we only had a wake or two to see, the lake was rather quiet that day, and the boat seemed to handle it well. My v-hull Thompson was a peach in rough water at high speed, and I don't expect this tri hull to be as good, but it IS more stable to walk about in!
I really appreciate the info and will do my research on the glass..
How does one check for rot in the underlying wood framework? Just by softness or 'give' when you put pressure , or is there another way to do this?
There is a jumpseat that runs across the stern in front of the bulkhead at the transom, and behind it is the fuel tank, 18 gal we were told, with a filler at the top of the bulkhead. It's going to be difficult to check but I suppose one would see or smell fuel at the base of the tank if it was leaking.
Some folks seem positive about us buying such an old boat, others are full of warnings about the motor being so old, about all the hidden 'dangers' and so on..while they run about in 'big butt' new boats or barely out of the water $40k bass boats. Not only can I not afford such things, I find them repulsive! So I guess we will just jump in and either sink or swim!
Thanks again, will be back with more info when she's brought down...
Oh, there IS a small crack in the fiberglass at the base of where you pass thru to the bow seating area, maybe someone dropped something heavy, like a ski, it's quite small, about 2", but since it is on that flat surface, rain or other moisture could have seeped into it. But don't know what is under this area that could be damaged..

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81854

If that engine is a 74' I consider it modern. Parts are available.
The boat sounds mint, I can't wait for the pictures.
The gas tank would worry me the most, but once into it, fiberglass is always repairable, just messy and slightly dangerous.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81859

$2,000 for the package is what we have agreed to, pending out of water inspection..The motor is the same year, as is the trailer. The seller also has all the original paperwork, bill of sale, handbook, etc etc, and that means a lot to me, altho I suppose most folks would think that's not important. The seller did replace the water pump on the motor and had a mechanic go thru it (and we spoke to him) and everything checked out great. Really quiet, sweet running motor..Even better than the 2006 Merc I had on my woodie..
I am getting really excited. Our little farm is literally across the road from the boat ramp at the lake.....Since we had to sideline my Thompson last summer due to rot in the transom, we have missed getting on the water this summer. Am hoping to get this all done in time to have a few more weeks to enjoy my hopefully new/vintage boat..
I just don't want to miss something serious because of ignorance!

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81901

ancientoaks,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81910

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I suspect that your new boat is not a true tri-hull. Mine certainly is not, but is sort of a deep-V with side wings that do not start until some distance behind the bow. My boat has always handled very well in rough water.

If you double-click on the picture accompanying this message, you will be taken to the data and pictures on My Profile. There are a couple of photos that let you see a bit more about how my boat is ahaped.

As to checking for rotted wood, there are several ways, including just feeling for apparent softness. Some people even claim to be able to test by thumping (as in selecting a watermelon), but I've little faith in that. Usually you have to drill a few test holes to determine just what is behind the outer fiberglass. Probing with an icepick (if you remember those?) or a long awl will be helpful. Don't forget to reseal the holes later.

There is an inexpensive little book that has been useful to many of us. It is "Runabout Renovation" by Jim Anderson, and it can be bought for about $18 - 20 from such places as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc. It covers many of the topics that you will be wanting to know more about as you continue your investigation and resulting enhancements. You'll have lots of fun.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81923

Billf,
You are right about the hull design on this boat. Deep v in the middle, two small v's either side.. This boat looks just like yours, only yours is a much prettier color! This one is a faded pale yellow with a brownish stripe.Hoping to bring back some of the glow with some elbow grease and the procedure described on this forum..What a help that will be to have others' experiences to work from....
Does your boat have a 'ski locker' in between the seat sections? Does anyone out there have this feature? If so, there is a hatch cover, correct?
I am getting a bit concerned about what may be hidden under the carpet over this area described to us as a 'former ski locker'...
There must be a drain in the locker also to disperse water from the skis, so does it drain into the bilge? Is there access to the bilge? I have so many more things to look for when the seller bring the boat down to us on Thurs...am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing pops up....at least nothing we can't handle..

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81924

thank you! Hope no one gets tired of my constant questions!
there is so much info here, wish I had done my homework before buying my Thompson.....

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81949

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
My boat never had a ski locker. However, as I discovered during major renovation, there is a channel about 12 inches wide that runs all the way from under the bow pan to the transom drain. I considered putting a storage area in part of that space, but decided against it, reasoning that I preferred the increased stiffness and improved drainage. There is a small hatch under the motor well allowing access to the bilge pump mounted aft in that channel space. Everything else under the deck is filled with foam now, improving upon the many voids that had been left during original construction.

BTW, when I did major renovation some years ago, I took many pictures during the process. If you should need to do some major work, I'll be glad to send potentially helpful photos to you. I bought this boat, motor, and trailer new in 1975, but after some years of use, I let it sit for several years, and it developed rot affecting the transom, deck, stringers, and frames. I discovered this by darned near sinking. It required major work to get it all back in shape, but I enjoyed doing it and I learned a lot.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #81950

good grief, sounds like you had quite a job on your hands..I suspect now, that this 'channel' is what is being referred to as a 'ski locker'...That explains the lack of a real hatch cover as it should have had if it were intended to be a locker of any sort...It might be worth our while to cut the carpet out at this point, remove the plywood cover and take a look see???
I am hoping NOT to have any major problems, but it's great to know someone who has a very similar boat and can guide us along....I think it would be helpful, at some point, to see the photos anyway so that we could get a better grasp of the interior construction of the boat and what to look out for. I have no clue...having been brought up around wooden boats...thanks for the support!

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #82019

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
CONGRATS, & WELCOME > We are just north of Chattanooga Tn.
Have / had some mid 60 classic Glasspars . Eastern club
getting active.. Had another member here was searching for a lime Green Cutlas that his father had way back when... If your rig is clean , they can be stylish. Post some pics when you can.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #82021

Friday is now our 'big day'..Seller will bring down the yacht and we are hoping that it's a done deal..have alot more info now to make sure all is well. Camera is ready....

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #82163

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Okay, AncientOaks,

All of us are impatiently awaiting your detailed report!!!!!

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #82169

good timing, we drove in the yard about two hours ago with the yeller beast in tow....
Oh so dirty....she's been sitting in the lake for at least a month, under cover, thank goodness, but lakes are so dirty on the hull and lower unit. Tomorrow I clean and scrub and clean and scrub...

We still don't understand the 'ski locker' thing, but this seller had no clue, since he just was the in between for the original owners..I think someone way back when decided to cut into the floor to access that hollow area in the main hull for storage...He said he was told that originally the owners had a removable wood grill type of thing rather than a hatch. It's all covered up with new carpet so for now we are going to just ignore it..Might get curious this winter.....Otherwise the floor, hull, everything around the transom, all felt solid, no soft spots noted. Where they cut out that 'ski locker', the floor edges along the plywood cover are a bit bouncy, but then, the floor got cut out!..
have all the handbooks for the Evinrude. Nothing on the boat...Have the original bill of sale for the boat , $1660....Motor $1320.....trailer $420....that seems like a lot of money in 1974..
The model full name on the side emblem is 'Glasspar Special Edition 165 Cutlas'..
Color is a faded yellow with a goldish and greenish stripe.
The upholstery is in o
utstanding condition, SO dirty..I could not find one tear or rub. The hull looks really good, only one small (the size of a dime) ding upper bow port side of the small outside hull, high about the water line. It seems to go thru the gel coat...Bottom is a scruffed a bit from launching and retrieving I'm sure..nothing thru the gel coat.
NOT the original steering wheel, this one looks like something you'd find on a mid 70's funny car, kind of holes in the spokes and a sort of wood material (yuk)...
Gas tank is original and is apparently solid and in good shape. No leaks noted..no gas smell at all.
I love that the seats fold out into mini lounges...great for relaxing! The jump seat at the motor well needs hinges...so all it's good for now is that it covers up the fuel storage under the motor well.
The stowage in the bow under the cushions is small but I checked all around under there and nothing is amiss. Hull is good there as well.There are good deep storage bunks aft along both sides, and one side has a smaller one above the larger...
The port side seat assembly is loose, hopefully the bolt that is suspect has not broken off and just needs tightening..We found the seats to be really really LOW..when you are sitting in them, it's like being in a sports car, they are only the thickness of the cushions above the floor. In relation to the steering wheel, throttle box and windshield this seems right, just odd to us!
The center fold away windshield section is plexi and is crazed, the other two units are perfect.
The canvas is really nice, looks like the aft tonneau cover is barely used, ditto the bow, the bimini has had two professional repairs, about 4" long. When up it's also very low, one has to bend 90 degrees to exit, but with the seats that low, it's not a big deal. All the side windows for the canvas are there and look unused.
There is alot of grease along the motor mount, just looks like no one ever cleaned the thing.
If I can get the color back, even with just a good cleaning, I think she'll look pretty good, it's just not the snazziest combination to me! Upholstery is a pale yellow , quite nice really.
Will take photos tomorrow as long as the rain holds off. BEFORE I clean her...Hope you all are honest with me about whether or not I got a good boat!
I do have a question..I'm used to boats with wooden floor that have a drain aft where water on the floor (from swimming, rain, or what have you) drains to the bilge..This boat seems solid floored all the way under the motor well to the transom. How does water collecting in the boat get to the bilge? Bilge pump works too...gas gauge does not...

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 8 months ago #82170

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info. It sounds as if you had a good day.

On my boat, at the aft end of the bow pan, there is a drain hose that empties into the central drain channel that I described to you. Under the motor well, there is a plywood cover with a finger-grip-hole to allow removal for access to the bilge pump. That hole and the loose fitting plywood cover allow any water to go down into the drain channel.

Your boat must have some sort of drain through the deck. Perhaps it is even covered by carpet.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82275

Well, we had our first on our own test run today at the lake. Nasty weather, started out heavy cloudy and mist, ended up heavy RAIN..
Had some difficulty getting Evinrude started, but once she did, she ran great for two hours we were out...
HAVE PHOTOS...lots of them..only could get one attached here? am so technically challanged..
LOVE LOVE all the canvas on this boat. We put the bow cover, and the stern cover on tonite, looks and fits great, just needs a bit of stretching to get back into shape. It is pristine..wonder what it's worth? It looks like it came with the boat...very custom...
we were in some pretty heavy rain and the bimini kept us dry (not warm, we forgot we had october weather in august......)
Attachments:

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82277

another shot
Attachments:

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82279

more
Attachments:

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82280

how do I get more than one photo per post???

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82282

'sigh'.....so nice
Attachments:

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82288

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
By golly, that is a fine looking boat and motor. I'm glad that your first real outing in your home lake was so pleasant. The canvas being so nice is a great big plus. It's good to be able to go out when the weather may not be exactly perfect.

More pics are always welcome. Thanks for sharing.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82298

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
ancientoaks wrote:

how do I get more than one photo per post???

After you've made the post with the first pic, hit the "edit" button and add another pic. This can be repeated again and again, don't think there's a limit.

Thanks for sharing the pics, great looking rig. Glad to hear the first outing went well.

Mark

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82304

Nice ride. Obviously that thing was garaged.
Love that engine!
Thanks for the pics.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82310

Sure appreciate the compliments! and the hint for the photos....
I am so happy with this boat (cross fingers!).I was skeptical at first..It's lovely to go aboard something that needs so little...My poor old Thompson had glaring issues that I had to ignore every time we went out...
I found she planes so quickly, rides fairly well with just a few 'big butt' new boat wakes to cross. The rack and pinion steering was tight and responsive, sitting down low and flying along, it was like driving a sports car.... and of course, that bimini is fabulous! Husband is not a boat person, is intimidated by water, yet he found she was so stable and roomy that he was very comfortable and at ease. and she's FAST....I started dreaming about skiing again...'sigh'.....
The extra canvas is wonderful as well, we were able to get both the bow and stern covers on, altho they were very difficult due to them sitting around unused, they needed lots of pulling and stretching. It would have helped to have had some sun and warmth. When on, with the side windows in, nothing can get in the boat, so storage in winter needn't be a garage, but just a shed will do. She doesn't fit in our little garage! I think this complete set came with the boat. They are beautifully made and very very heavy..and not a rip or tear in the lot.

There are only a couple of things we need to address.
Getting the motor tilted up..It was a Laurel and Hardy display at the ramp yesterday. thank goodness is was pouring rain or we would have had an even bigger audience to entertain..I tried first, forgot what position the lever needed to be in (We ran her with it 'unlocked' in case we hit some lake debri) and pushed the lever to lockdown..So I pulled and pulled until I realized what I had done. EVEN after I unlocked the lever I could not budge it. So husband had to find a way to climb aboard (the boat was on the trailer but still in the water) at the bow, that procedure alone was worthy of YouTube..then the poor man tried to just pull her up standing in front of the motor well..no dice..he had to get IN the motor well, straddle it with both skinny white legs (he's 76 yrs old) and pull until he popped and finally the motor was in the upright position!
The seller was a 6'4" 350lb guy, he had reached over with one hand and pulled the motor in our test run. I though, hey cool, that thing is going to be EASY for us! ha...
Husband thought we could haul out with the motor down but I was nervous about it.the lower unit is only about 10" above pavement.I've priced add on power tilts and they are a bit high for us right now, so we'll have to try and pull her with the motor down..carefully..slowly..I hope it works, that 115 Ev is a hoss!
The cowling only has one small scratch on it. and the paint is still quite bright, a coat of wax should bring it back to shine.I suspect tho, that this motor is a fuel hog..the gas gauge on the dash doesn't work, would like to get that fixed, so we are just keeping track of what we put in. Tank says it will hold 18 gallons.

We have to rewire the aft running light, the light is there but not a wire to be found..bow light works fine.
We have to rewire the trailer, the wires were short for whomever had it last and it looks like they jacknifed and ripped the wires loose..luckily these are things we can do ourselves.
There is a pretty nasty scratch, about 6" long, thru the gelcoat to the darker undercoat, on the starboard side of bow, just above water line, like a hit on a dock or something. Would like to get someone to look at it for repair. Another much smaller ding on the port side about the same spot, but much smaller, again it goes thru the gelcoat. don't think we can tackle this ourselves. want it fixed, if needed, so that it doesn't show...

Obviously the original owner took great care of the whole rig.
The guy we bought it from left her in the water all summer using it while he was 'helping' the heirs of the original owners sell it, it was so grungy from the lake water I had to spend all day Sat cleaning the hull, the interior was filthy,greasy fingerprints on everything, just overall dirt..but once we got that done the care she has received in 39 years was became obvious...I was surprised how clean the hull came, it was clear that the grunge was from only a couple of months in the water. The original owner always kept her pulled and in the garage when not in use.
This winter I think I'll dig into that 'ski locker' thing..It's annoying to walk between the seats and feel that depression under your feet, when the rest of the floor is so solid...I'm hoping we can fashion a hatch of sorts that is level with the rest of the floor. Kind of a wooden slatted sort of thing. We had something like that in my dad's live aboard trawler in the shower....
Attachments:

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82331

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
A.O. CONGRATS, that is a SWEET interior with the side panels,
storage shelves, etc. very clean . Love the cream / butterscotch / gold colors. Top canvass is a big score.. Here is a typical brochure LINK for the 70's type floor Ski indent (Locker) . Practical use is
really one slalom short length ski. really ropes , safety float belt, etc.. I vote to acquire a nice wood lattice floor piece (Varnished)put back in for visual effect. Also the air holes / vents will add to the under floor circulation. Glastron catalog LINK
pic here www.classicglastron.com/77gl-v192-195.html (Red pic near bottom of page may need to Scroll down ?)
. Careful about lifting the heavy motor lower.. Also is trailering a long distance or bumpy road , there is a adjustable rod
support called TRANSOM SAVER )At local marina / boat stores) that
will support the flex movement on the boat back.
GREAT PICTURES, will hold value in that condition.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82334

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That motor really should be lifted before being taken up the ramp. Perhaps you can rig a clamp-on lever to help with that. If you do absolutely have to leave it down, then make darned sure that the motor can tilt if it strikes something. On my boat, with 150-hp Merc, that would mean having it in forward gear. Of course, NEVER tow with it down.

BTW, your husband is just a kid.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82337

Wow...am so glad I didn't mess up getting this boat.I REALLY appreciate the compliments.It's scary jumping into the water when you have no idea what's underneath! And fiberglass boats were never part of my life so I was rather concerned my judgement wasn't up to the task..She's even better looking in person, it's quite remarkable, actually, how nice this boat is all cleaned up. I really can't believe I have not found anything wrong in the interior except the glove box door is missing. It really is like new.
I am hoping, weather permitting, to get some under way photos next outing. I'd love to see how she looks skimming the lake..
That brochure is so cool..Now I see how that locker must have been, the hatch door is obviously missing, you can feel the plywood underneath. Will definately do that slatted wood idea, hadn't thought of the ventilation benefit as well.
I looked at those tilt assist things..Looks pretty neat except they say they have a 75hp limit..so I looked at the weight of this Hoss on our boat, about 290-330lbs depending on who you ask, and a 75 is about 220 lbs..so I suspect that tilt tool may not either pick it up or wouldn't last long..
What we are going to try is to just pull the boat up the ramp far enough for us to get in the water behind it, it's a pretty easy lift when you're on the ground with it!..When we sink the trailer to load or offload, I want it dunked pretty deep so there's no rubbing or scraping....too deep to stand behind and lift that motor. It makes my teeth grind to see those guys with their $50k bass boats run them up on the trailers...
We also have a friend who rebuilt the transom on the Thompson who may be able to fabricate a tool like I saw but beefier. He makes long guns too so something like that tool would be a piece of cake for him.
However, after getting him to rebuild that transom I'm not sure he's still speaking to me...It was just a little itty bitty hole at first.....
Of course, there is always a come-a-long hitched to the bow hook, run the cable between the windshield, hook to a strap around the motor and start cranking....might attract attention and be a little awkward while under way.......(smile)

The boat came with one of those transom savers..I can see how it relieves alot of pressure on that transom. Especially when you're bouncing down these lovely highways. will always use it if we haul.
We never haul with the motor down, my Thompson had a 2006 40ph Merc with power TNT and I got spoiled! I always store the boats with the motor down as well..Don't know if that matters that much, but my dad always insisted...
I did see an old ad that said there was such a thing in the 70's that was power tilt only, no trim...But I couldn't find anything else on it..and it seems those cylinders on either side of the motor don't really help much when you lower it. I thought they'd help more but I get the sense when I'm letting it down that if I let go at all, the motor would slam down. Do you ever replace those cylinders?

We WILL figure this out, may get comical but it will get done..This little yaller boat is a sweetheart and I'm glad I jumped in. Thanks for all the encouragement! This is a great site and full of good info..

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82367

• MarkS
One of the real experts can probably advise/confirm, but I believe your motor weighs in at 308 lbs, or something close to that. Great ole motors IMHO! If you'll post the model/serial number, the exact year can be determined. (Or you can plug it in here; www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php ) You may be able to find factory Power Tilt and Trim system that can be transplanted to your motor fairly reasonably. (I know the aftermarket systems are pretty pricey.) I've owned several of the 70's V4 motors, previous model without PT&T. I got lucky on the last one, and found one with the luxury and don't know how I got along without it. Vast resources available here, I fell sure we can help you find the parts needed and maybe even someone to do the conversion if needed. ;)

Mark

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82369

The 115 weighs 262 lbs. (at least it did in 73')
The graphics are the 1974 colors.
Power tilt and trim were options.
I don't see a problem getting it out of the water with the engine down. Just lift it in the parking lot, that is what I do. I thought trailering with it down was preferred?
I only trailer up because of my driveway.
The problem comes backing down steep hills that flatten quickly. (Don't ask me how I know!)

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82385

The receipt from 1974 states it's a '74 (was $1300 - seems like a whopper of an amount for that time) but I'll get the numbers today and see what you all can dig up..I am surprised, if power tilt was an option with guy didn't bite. It looks like he got everything else upgraded!.I'd love to find one of those original units that would fit our motor...dream on...
When we pulled the cowling on the motor we were stunned...it looks like brand new...absolutely spotless.
I'm hoping leaving the motor down will do the trick. and since we live just across the road from the ramp......

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82599

NEW PHOTOS! Finally got some decent weather and have some shots of the old yellow boat under way! We went out yesterday and today, burned alot of gas (ran out today, ugh! paddled a half mile before catching a tow!), but had a great time....I am so impressed with this boat and how she handles, turns on a dime, rides really well, more stable than the woodie by a mile...I even got to turn over the wheel to husband so I could sit in the bow and enjoy the views....
Have some fuel leakage somewhere front or side of the engine...fuel line quick connect seems loose and we always have some sort of fluid (feels like gas, doesn't smell that gassy) in the splash well just under the steering connect, not alot but enough to stain the rubber mat I have down plus the underside of the motor is always got greasy/oily looking reside. Haven't power washed it off but could tell today that some of the residue was fresh. Kind of like the grease for the motor mount is mixing with some fuel and creating kind of a goo....
Need to get the ignition switch probably replaced, any ideas on that????? it takes quite a few tries of turning the key to get it to 'connect' and get the juice to the starter....
and the gas gauge doesn't work, makes it hard to tell what your status is. Can't use a stick because the filler is not straight into the tank, kind of bends around a bit. I think this motor uses a bit more fuel than that 06 40 hp Merc did.......
overall, we love this boat!! just got to work out the kinks... to finally have something that we can enjoy this wonderful lake with in comfort is fabulous..
[img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/goldilocks_8_24_13_puttering.jpg[/img [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/normandy_lake_8_25_13_1.jpg

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82623

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It is great to see you out there having fun in that super boat on that lovely nearby lake in that beautiful area. Good for you, AncientOaks.

You'll find and fix that fuel leak, and better do it soon. The ignition could be as simple as a dirty or corroded contact. Can you open it up and take a look, and perhaps use a little electronic contact cleaner? Look carefully at your wiring related to the fuel gauge; it may be simple to repair. Do you have a simple multimeter that you can check such things with? If not, probably you should pick one up. They come pretty cheap and are very useful.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82627

thank you for the tips..we do have a multimeter and will work on this today. I am so hesitant to take it to a shop, being she is not the usual run of the mill boat (translate 'old')..We are pretty handy around here but boats are not the usual area of expertise. Husband is a good electrician so I'll tell him to dive in and check all this out. thank you again!

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82637

Getting started checking the ignition/key switch...forgot to mention, it came with a kill switch (deadman's switch???) with a lanyard that goes in a slot at the top of the switch. If that cord isn't in the slot, the key won't turn... Supposed to attached the other end to your life vest?? Is this feature going to impact our switch inspection/repair?
Just found the information card in our packet of books that came with the boat...it's called an 'Emergency ignition shut off device'and it appears to be an add on, although made by OMC...This particular key switch is difficult to operate (key is small and metal stop is cumbersome), should we consider changing back to regualar style switch? am wondering if this thing could be part of the intermittent connetivity problem?
Is anyone familiar with this? I've never seen one in my limited experience with 'modern' boats..
My Merc from 2006 sure didn't have anything like this...and our books that came with this boat don't seem to say too much about it....

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82648

• BillF
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd be surprised if your kill switch is part of the problem, but I guess it could be. Some kill switches work by opening a contact, others by closing a contact. Your handy-dandy multimeter and your captive electrician will help sort this out. Don't rush to replace it, and certainly do not disable it except temporarily to aid troubleshooting. My boat did not have a kill switch, and I added one for safety, plus I installed an override switch just in case the lanyard went missing. I did find that the contacts in my kill switch were not making good tight contact until after I added a washer to change the spacing introduced by attaching the lanyard.

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82650

UPDATE.....Husband fixed the problem by removing the metal 'guard' thing that stops the key from engaging completely...he also screwed down the revolving plastic ring that engaged the lanyard 'knot' that went into that slot, thereby disabling the function, obviously..This allows the key to turn completely to the 'start' position and the motor cranks every time. This unit was added on to the existing factory switch apparently.
Does everyone here think such a device is necessary? I've never had one , dad never did (of course we are going wayyy back now) and the newer motor I had on the last boat didn't have one either...It was just so awkward, perhaps not installed well or worn out...
anyway, he also was able to reconnect the quick disconnect on the fuel line that was leaking, why the seller couldn't do this sort of thing, have no clue. Anyway, it's dry and clean now. Also got the stern light working by putting in the bracket correctly (someone had just rammed it in the hole)...still puzzled on the fuel gauge.. it's wired up ok, is there a fuse for it?
I power washed with Dawn, all that gunk around the base of the motor, dried it good and now we can see if that mess was from a long leaking fuel connection. It WAS dirtier on the line side of the motor so am crossing the fingers that this was it.
Then I waxed the cowling and it came out great. It's been a fun morning.
Oh, and he re attached the jump seat that the seller said had broken hinges...they weren't broken....they just needed screws.....geez.....
We did find out that hauling out with the motor down works fine. we just go slow, I walk along, the ramp is nice and smooth.....not so good for a guy beside us yesterday. he forgot to raise his outdrive on his fatt butt boat when wifey pulled out....ouch.....

and talked to our buddy (old transom repair pal) and he agreed to make me a lattice type thing to go over that ski locker this winter.....going to make it out of mahogany...great way to start the spring season.....

after all this work today....it sure looks nice out on the lake. I WAS going to mow the lawn.....

Re:TOTALLY new world for me! My first Glassic! 10 years 7 months ago #82688

• MarkS
Sounds like you're getting some of the "bugs" worked out, many times the lack of attention by previous owners caused their own problems. Glad to hear you're getting to enjoy some on the water time, fall can be one of the best seasons for Glassic boating. Just cruise and watch the leaves change, enjoy the milder weather, etc.. Please keep the pics and reports coming, we're enjoying hearing from you and the Mr. as you go along. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7499 guests and one member online