• Page:

TOPIC: New to me 42 years old!

New to me 42 years old! 10 years 9 months ago #79901

• Cutlass
  • Cutlass's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Another newbie here. I decided to replace my 12' tin boat with something a bit bigger and faster. After looking at other peoples 16-20 ft problems, rotted stringers, homemade re-upholstery,shade tree mechanic's nightmares. I was ready to give it up and use little leakie for another summer.

But my son says come on dad I'll go with you buy lunch and drive to boot! How can you turn that down? Well we ended up in Northern Idaho at Bottle Bay. How can we go wrong? We didn't! Now I am the proud owner of a 1971 17' Sabercraft with a 140 Mercrusier. All original one owner and it lived in a dry boathouse when not in the water. One tear in the original upholstery, some oxidation and she is going to need the tilt cylinders replace or rebuilt. Good news is she came with a complete service manual, the big red one!

All the hardware is original, all the gauges work and she cruises at 22 mph like a cloud and can still top out at 35 mph @ 4200 rpm. We don't go there much. Smooth ride, much better than the 16' Lund Pro-Sport not to mention little leakie!

First time at the launch a fellow boater came up and asked where I found it. I guess he liked the retro-look too. He roared off in a very nice Moomba wake board set up.

So any other Sabercraft drivers I hope she is old enough to qualify as a Fiberclassic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New to me 42 years old! 10 years 9 months ago #79903

Sounds like a nice boat! Went to the gallery to see what it looks like but none pictured... Guess that's your que to post up some pics! LOL Congrats on the new purchase.

Change is Opportunity!

Re:New to me 42 years old! 10 years 9 months ago #79906

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like do did well Cutlass.
Here is mine. I will have to round up more pics later. Post some of your "new" Sabercraft also.
Mine is a 1970 17 footer with the Mercruiser 120. Old Reliable.
Had it out over the Fourth and put around 60 miles on her, did not complain even once!
Attachments:

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:New to me 42 years old! 10 years 9 months ago #80075

• Cutlass
  • Cutlass's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
As soon as I figure out the trick I'll put some up! Already got a cool boat at my local launch!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8607 guests and 2 members online