Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to site with new to me t-bird

New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6387

Howdy folks,
I just picked up a 1971 Thunderbird which has been sitting in a garage since 1990. I am the second owner, the original owner had it serviced then unfortunately suffered a stroke. So, it's been sitting in hibernation until it came up in an estate sale last week. The guy who bought it only wanted the trailer, so I bought the boat for 350.00

It's in very good condition with a 155HP Buick v6/OMC outdrive. The hoses and Rubber parts look brand new, and the oil looks like it was just changed. So I've started going through it getting ready to make it seaworthy, and the only issue I can find is the wiring on the engine is deteriorating. I'm trying to find a source for the wiring harness but so far have had no luck. If anyone has any hints on where I might source one, I'd appreciate the info. Otherwise, I'm going to get cracking heating up the soldering iron and re-doing the one I've got.

Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6447

wow, great looking boat!!

go to iboats dot com, in the main forums ,scroll down to the merc,omc section,at the top of that forum there is a sticky titled "adualts only" (its not what you think :) ) scroll down to #12 "omc info" there will come up a post where you can down load a couple omc service manuals.

if you have trouble with my directiond let me know ,i will figure out how to get you hooked with that info.

Mods, please forgive me if passing this info from another forum is wrong!!

woosterken

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6461

Great, thanks!
The wiring diagram is just what I needed. I'm really looking forward to getting this girl back in the water. Time to get started.

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6486

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6511

I've never found a new harness, but never put much effort into it. I have done some splicing as well as liquid electrical tape to seal some small cracks.

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6514

I kind of figured that might be the case, so I'm going to be cutting them back to good wire, and soldering on new.

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 11 months ago #6520

you can find the marine motor stuff at napa...believe it or not.

now see if that was an outboard that may be a problem...but that's an inboard so..

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 13 years 10 months ago #7053

Well I found a place that actually sells the wiring harness. Apparently it is a pretty standard set up for most IB/OB motors. In case anyone is interested it's
bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/OMCWH/Wiring+Harnesses+for+OMC

Re:New to site with new to me t-bird 7 years 10 months ago #122804

Unfortunately that was not the correct Harness. Good news is I found a complete harness for the engine and the stern drive on ebay! Now I can get somewhere. Heck it's only been 6 years.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7912 guests and 2 members online