Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1975 Classic

1975 Classic 11 years 10 months ago #61418

I bought a boat last summer and am looking for some emblems. I'm pretty sure the boat is called a "Classic" its was purchased mid-seventies and is and I/O deck boat. Any ideas of where I might be able to find some emblems for her?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 10 months ago #61419

CW,

We need some pictures to ID the boat. Once these guys see pictures they can do a lot to help you out. Take them from all angles, and if you have a part of a emblem that sure helps.

It's not that were dumb, we just love Pics.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 10 months ago #61428

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
littlefin wrote:

It's not that were dumb

speak for yourself! oh, wait...

and yes, pics do help. alot. much of the paperwork you have on the boat could be wrong. heck, some people will swap emblems and such onto a boat that don't belong too. if you post pics, some folks on here will recognize the lines and shapes well enough to give you a definite ID.

-Chris

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 10 months ago #61448

There was a fiberglass boat manufacturer called "Classic Boats, Inc." in the 1970s at 1 Roselle Road, Roselle, IL 60172 in Chicagoland. The company was owned and operated by Robert F. Smith. He also owned Smith Marine at Berwyn and Sequoit Harbor Marina (boat dealerships). Earlier he and his father owned Dunphy Boat Corp. in Oshkosh and drove it into the ground. In 1984 he bought Sea Sprite Boat Co. of Crescent City, IL.

I have never seen one of the "Classic" boats nor any of their literature.

And no, it is not the same Robert Smith as the musical group "The Smiths."

Andreas

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 10 months ago #61457

They were popular in the Chicago area for obvious reasons. I remember deep V runabouts, not "deck boats". Maybe I'm wrong, maybe your description of it is wrong, I don't know. Smith Marine was Chicago's SeaRay dealer back in 1970 (it's where mine was sold new).

The Classic boats were attractive, had a bit of SeaRay lines and a bit of early 70s Slickcraft lines. Haven't seen one in years.

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 8 months ago #64280

I own a 1971 17' " Classic " I/O , it has the deep v hull like mentioned in the other posts, mine has a 4cylinder 140hp mercruiser, and a mercruiser stern drive . Info about the manufacturer seems to be pretty scarce other than word of mouth and a few random posts here and there, as well as any original equipment parts other than equipment with the Mercruiser brand. Your best bet is to search local chicago bone yards , it seems to be a pretty rare boat these days. I read something some time ago about the different models produced and I don't recall any mention of a " deck boat " model . Let me know if you were able to find those tags otherwise your only other option would be to find someone to fabricate some for you . I'd be happy to send you some pics of the standard tag used .

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71428

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
The Classic is a splash of a Slickcraft.
Randy

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71847

Alright enough is enough I have resonded to this having a 25classic TC edition, trying to post details of my experiences w/ the mnfrs boats after a lengthy composition. Only to have it disapear into thin air. Timing out or what,why not enough time to tell a great story about this. Story also included comps about this site make me understand why when I am composing a post the site times me out doesnt submit my response. Then Im not even online any more am d. have to log back in start all over hit submit and dumps my post again!!!!!!!!! Software should recognise when someone is active!!!!!! Please explain!!

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71848

Karma not good rite now after a whole lot of time spent on nothing twice!!!

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71882

While I saw Classics while a kid in Chicago, the only real 1st hand experience I had with one was a customer in Winneconne, WI had one there. It looked just like yours, MerCruiser V8 and the teak floor. He was from Chicago area. I think his name was Charlie Blakemore.

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71944

Hey Jim, really enjoyed talking to you the other day. I'l get the story about, my dads boat, and all of my experiences w/Classic Inc boats up soon. I look forward to talking to you in the future. Hope you had or having a very happy Thanksgiving.

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71945

C Warner About Classics, oddly enough, some models, or sizes didn't have the Classic emblem, most that did had them under the side windows. Ours had none, ot just says TC edition on the sides. I have alot more info on them I was in them and behind them since 1970

Re:1975 Classic 11 years 4 months ago #71946

C Warner About Classics, oddly enough, some models, or sizes didn't have the Classic emblem, most that did had them under the side windows. Ours had none, ot just says TC edition on the sides. I have alot more info on them I was in them and behind them since 1970

Re:1975 Classic 10 years 10 months ago #77128

I came across this thread as I have a 1967 Classic 190. I do a search a couple of times a year for any tid bits of information on these brand of boats. Just some info on my boat. Like I said it is a 1967. I am the second owner since 2005. The 85 year old gentleman that I bought the boat from was originaly from chicago and has had a vacation home in New Buffalo MI. I have every reciept for the boat from the day it was new. It was purchased as a leftover in 1968 along with a 1968 little dude trailer. I have two original brochures with writing on them from the guy I bought the boat from. Just a little info on how well these boats are made. My boat has been in the galien river every season from 1968-2005 when I bought it. The hull is still sound and there are no signs of any structural rot anywhere. I take this boat out salmon fishing several times a year on lake Michigan. I have had it in 4-6 footers and it handles extremly well. I am a certified marine technician and have driven and fished many makes and models and classic boats are one of the best I have seen. I will try to post a pic of the brocures.

Re:1975 Classic 10 years 10 months ago #77130

brochure #1
Attachments:

Re:1975 Classic 10 years 10 months ago #77131

brochure #2 This one is same just printed on different paper
Attachments:

Re:1975 Classic 10 years 10 months ago #77132

jimandros wrote:

a bit of SeaRay lines and a bit of early 70s Slickcraft lines. Haven't seen one in years.

I can't say I see any sea ray lines, but yes on the slickcrafts.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)