Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 74 Hydrostream Vector, 74 Merc 1500

74 Hydrostream Vector, 74 Merc 1500 12 years 8 months ago #39789

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Finally done after 2 1/2 years. Took three trophy's at the ACBS show in NH last Weekend.
Things not so obvious about motor:
Very clean low hour, never opened block, pistons/ rings look near new etc. but disassmbled, cleaned, and assembled with new seals and gaskets. Rebuilt dist, starter, carbs, fuel pump, hydralics, new lines for trim and fuel. New internal wire harness, new external wire harness put on control.
X.S. H.D. NOS firmer rubber mounts and bumpers
Correct Super ride guide twin cable, parts machined to match original Merc parts of this vintage.
Vented cowl, available through Merc hi performance back then.
X.S.style non back draft carbs, with X.S. main jets.
X.S. Switchbox
Swept back NOS lower unit (stronger) with integral pitot tube.
Period correct elephant ear Merc hi-perf stainless 2 blade(show only)
Boat:
I searched for years to find an early Vector that I could restore to original. These boats were way ahead on hull design, most Bass boats today copy the ideas integrated on this bottom. Howard Pipcorn, the desiner/builder was a genious. I was able to restore the original Metalflake with lots of TLC and then clear coat, color is Boss Moss. Boat had no added holes or sins commited against it over the years so it came back to exactly as it was in 74, rigging and all (not the place I would have put trim switch but oh, well) I have throttle mounted switch for ease of use running in tandem with dash one. I have the original catalog to confirm the interior and steering are as original. It has NOS period correct Merc gauges and bezels. I found a correct Super ride guide 2 cable system and had the parts machined like originals to adapt to the early in-line clamp bracket, just like Merc had done back then.
Boat needed new balsa core wich is an ugly job to replace, that is what took a lot of time. it got a new transom, floor, stringers, seat boxes and interior backing panels. Most of upholstery was salvagable but some panels were replaced.
For general bombing around I use a 22 or 24 chopper, boat does 64 to 65 on GPS at 5800 to 6200 RPM depending on prop used.
I wanted this to be original so I did not do some of the things to make it a bit faster, originality was the goal.
I'll post over on the Disco Forum but thought you would enjoy my latest Merc.
Randy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:74 Hydrostream Vector, 74 Merc 1500 12 years 8 months ago #39791

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
AWESOME job Randy, thanks for sharing. Would love to see more pics!

Mark

Re:74 Hydrostream Vector, 74 Merc 1500 12 years 8 months ago #39799

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Mark, pics of the resto are on Scream and fly under 74 Vector Restore. I hope to get more pictures and some action video soon. Right now, enjoying the fact it's done.
Needed a lot like your Glastron, looks like nice work on your part on the GT's hull structure. I was gonna do either a 160 GT or the Vector, I had a Vector in my younger years so went with it for sentimental reasons. The designer of the Vector, Howard Pipcorn borrowed the windshield styling idea right from Glastron.
Hard to believe all this stuff is 40 or so years old.
R

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)