Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MFG Gypsy 21

MFG Gypsy 21 12 years 8 months ago #36553

Hello folks. First post from a newbie! I have found a EZ 21 Gypsy by MFG. It has some wood rot in the floor/stringer/engine mount stringer/longeron. The boat, motor and trailer can be had for $300 but it is rough. It also has a broken gear "between the engine and outdrive" that a former owner has already replaced wirh a fiberglass one...current owners words here. He doesn't know any more about it than it has broken again and that's why he quit using the boat. What do ya'll think on the wood rot issue and the engine issue? It is a boat worth saving, but I'm not too sure I need another big project. Too many now!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:MFG Gypsy 21 12 years 8 months ago #36563

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd pass unless you have a lot of time an know how on fixing the drive unit...when you start toying with outdrives $$ adds up fast.
As far as a gear made out of fiberglass that don't sound right?
Is the transom area solid ? maybe he meant the previous owner tried to reienforcing the the area with fiberglass....

When looking for a project boat you have to go in knowing what to expect, and usually expect the worse.
I have been hunting for a project boat, I ask a lot of questions, but too many times I give up the owners can't answer my questions and I'm not going to drive all over the nation on a hunt...unless I really want,...I did find one recently and time allows next week I think I will take a 3hr to go look if its still available that...
I found another one asked if the transom was solid, my reply was whats a transom?

anyway thats my 2cents and my opinion I'm sure someone can help answer your questions and help make you decide...

PS:
I like the idea of a big boat too, but a 21ft'r on trailer with outdrive and the tongue will be beast of boat, i don't think it would fint in my garage...think of room to work on it too.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:MFG Gypsy 21 12 years 8 months ago #36567

giving this thing more thought now. The engine will most likely have to come out for whatever repair is needed for this "gear". While it is out, I could use the seacast repair for the stringers.....hmmmm

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)