Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WD-40 Wonder product or big boo-boo?

WD-40 Wonder product or big boo-boo? 12 years 9 months ago #36189

Greetings Guys,

I started wet sanding our '61 Redfish Shark today in an effort to bring up the original color (red) instead of it's current chalky pink. I had some WD-40 right there and thought while I was at the beginning stages I would get the pine sap off. Here in the south we use WD-40 to remove pine sap from our cars.

Well, It's working on the pine sap - but it also has just about brought the color back to original... something I wasn't getting from the first run at sanding.

Fearing I really goofed, I wiped it down with a mixture of 50/50 water and vinegar as a solvent. I'm not planning on painting it, just sanding 400, 600, 800, then compound, finessit and wax. I'm just concerned I might have really screwed up the process.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Jerri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:WD-40 Wonder product or big boo-boo? 12 years 9 months ago #36195

What the WD 40 did was fill the air spaces with oil... It will soon burn off and you will be back to what you started with ...... dull pink boat

Now being that you are just sanding you may use a few more sheets of paper for the WD 40 will cause the dust to stick together instead of floating away

If you use "Wet & Dry" wet you will have no problem...if using just dry you may want to wipe the boat down with a clean rag and paint thinner a few hrs before sanding

BTW here (farther South) we use kerosene to remove road tar and sap ... call us cheap :cheer:

CAVU

Re:WD-40 Wonder product or big boo-boo? 12 years 9 months ago #36214

ure right when i first got my boat i used wd-40 as a quick shine it does work and it will fade as far as damage i think it actually soaked in a little and added moisture to a verry dry arizona gel coat.i use a magic eraser to clean any left over wd-40, they work fantastic, on the subject i just finished a complete polish with meguiars mirror glaze its a verry low cut and it looks like it did when i sprayed it with the wd-40. actually better and wont burn off as fast since im sealing it in with nu finish once a year car pollish. best finish ive seen in the seven years ive owned it. have fun but dont worry too mutch, but not shure the kerosene is sutch a good idea any alcohol based products if not completely removed will cloud wax.

Re:WD-40 Wonder product or big boo-boo? 12 years 9 months ago #36244

Ah man, falls in the "too good to be true category! Oh well, I'm wet sanding all the way through. maybe by the time I get to the compounding and buffing stage it will stay that nice new looking red. I also plan to wax afterwards for protection and shine.

Thanks for the reality check.

jer

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7124 guests and 2 members online