Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MFG Carefree-wood stringers or not?

MFG Carefree-wood stringers or not? 12 years 11 months ago #30670

I haven't gotten my new to me Carefree to my house yet, but someone over at iboat forums told me that some of the MFGs were all fiberglass-even the stringers. Does anyone know if that's the case with the Carefree? Is there any way to find out without really tearing into the boat? I'm completely unfamiliar with fiberglass construction...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:MFG Carefree-wood stringers or not? 12 years 11 months ago #30688

I can't say for 100% accuracy, but I had a neighbor who owned an MFG Carefree runabout some years back. I recall ripping out the deck which was wood, but it did have fiberglass stringers under the deck. I am always happy when I see a boat with glass stringers since there is no rot in there. We did epoxy and glass the CRAP out of the new deck when we put it down. I am sure it will last awhile.

For the life of me I cannot remember the transom material. I am thinking the transom core was wood but I can't be sure. It would pay to check that transom out and see. My old Skagit 20, along with Kelly and many others who have Skagits know of glass stringers, but all the Skagits had wood core transoms.

I actually poured a composite transom on my Skagit 20. That transom along with fiberglass stringers and a Nida-Core composite deck makes the hull wood free from there down. I also plan to pour the base of the main center bulkhead in a composite core. I hate rot!!!!!!

Mike Russon

Re:MFG Carefree-wood stringers or not? 12 years 11 months ago #30692

mrusson wrote:

I can't say for 100% accuracy, but I had a neighbor who owned an MFG Carefree runabout some years back. I recall ripping out the deck which was wood

Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping that I'm in luck because the deck (and by deck I'm assuming we're talking about the floor inside the boat) in this boat is all glass-I just wasn't sure if there would be wood underneath it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)