• Page:

TOPIC: Metal Flake ??

Metal Flake ?? 12 years 11 months ago #30430

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I got a Glastron CV16 . Its got the Medium Metal Flake paint .When I bought it she was oxidized real bad . I spent a couple of days buffing her and it looked nice .When I pulled the cover off of her this week the Metal Flake had Oxidised again .Im thinking the clear is now to thin and some of the metalic is breaking threw the clear and oxidises over time after buffing .I know you cant wet sand it and reclear because youll goof up the metalic in the paint . But could I buff her back to shinny , Prep Solve it to get any waxes off Then reclear it and rebury the metal flake so it wont oxidise again ?? Is there a better way ?? Im a Ex bodyman but Ive never travelled down this road before ..

This is when I bought it before buffing

Heres after my last Buff Job
WHY WOULD YOU PUT THAT HORN ON THAT BOW ??? ...L.O.L....

The Lake pictures are with some dew on it thats what those Lines are you see . But she buffs up nice .I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this boat and want to keep it stock .Can I get away with just clearing like I said or do I have to repaint ?? The Oxidiseing isnt Nearly as bad Now as when I bought it . She is just starting to look bad again .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Metal Flake ?? 12 years 11 months ago #30440

What did you use for wax after the buff job?

Re:Metal Flake ?? 12 years 11 months ago #30459

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
aquatech wrote:

What did you use for wax after the buff job?

I used 5 coats of Meguiars Carnuba ..Its good stuff .

Re:Metal Flake ?? 12 years 11 months ago #30554

In the past we clear coated many of these. Not so much anymore. But your idea of cleaning carefully, washing several times with a strong detergent, rinsing and painting works well. Thin the first coat a bit more than usual, then build. My favorite was PPG Deltron urethane clear, which seems to hold up better than the dupont variant. Matrixsystem.com is a fine starteup by ex ppg employees - check them out too. Good luck! The clear will last for many years.

Re:Metal Flake ?? 12 years 11 months ago #30559

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Wmlagna .I worked in a Pro Body Shop for 10 pluss years .Ive been out of the Biss for another 10 now .We didnt do much custom work mostly a endless stream of Deer hits and fender benders .Only time we used the Big metalics was on a Few Bikes we did completes on . I thought my idea might work but I didnt want to spray on a $100 worth of clear and have it go belly up .Ive used PPG in the past with good results .We mostly used Dupont .They changed thier clear and I thought it was for the worst with a Bigger price tag .I found a European Company called U-Pol .They make a pretty decent Hi build clear for under a $100 for 5 useable quarts .Ill have to check Matrix out to .

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)