Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19

Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22769

I have a lead on 1973 Chris Craft XK 19, with an ezload dual axle trailer, transom was redone by Sutphen, brand new 454 (not original)not even run yet, mostly original paint, was bottom painted and most original chrome.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22781

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well the first thought would be, how much ? Next would be what is your budget and does this fit into it. Is this a boat that you have been activly searching for or did it just pop up and catch your eye? What kind of drive? Why the new engine? Bottom paint ? because it was docked/ moored for the season or is the paint hiding repair work? Any pictures? Engine never run, then is there any warranty that comes with it or can you take it out for a sea trial, not sure where you live to be able to accomplish this in the winter.Those would be my initial thoughts untill I get more info.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22810

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I have looked at both Donzi's and Chris Crafts of this vintage.
I decided not to buy a vintage boat of this type but, did learn a little about them.
Many things effect the value of a boat, this is really a state of mind and emotion. However there are real things that effect value based on condition. So buy according to condition and degree of modification. The worse condition and the more modified (hack jobs) in general the less it would be worth. That said, if you buy cheap and sell cheap that is probably no worse than paying top dollar and getting back top dollar. So understand what you want from your boat purchase, and if a particular model is driving the decision rather than the type of boat. If it's for fun that's a lot different than wanting as close to original of a particular model as possible.
In general, I'd say the closer to original something is the more likely it is to be of value to the general marketplace, similar to vintage cars in this regard. As time goes on modified boats are easier to find, originals or restored originals are more difficult. It is a lot more effort to get things original than to modify as the availability of correct parts is limited and often when found still need more work.
The condition is important, don't buy more of a project than is realistic and assess what you feel needs to be done to have a boat that suits your fancy. I can tell you it is very difficult to buy and do a lot of work on a vintage glass boat and come out ahead money wise so make sure if you are going this route that the guiding principle is not money but getting what you want. The wood boat market is still a lot different than the vintage glass market, it is apples and oranges to try to price compare, glass simply is not getting anywhere near the dollars of a comparable wood boat. It amazes me how cheap most nice, desireable glass boats go for in real purchase price.
The V-drive XK's are the most sought after and will be easier to care for than the I/O. I don't know which version you are looking at, or what attracted to you in the first place but they are nice boats and will always have a following.
Randy

Re:Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22900

Thanks 63g3, I would love to come out ahead, and it should be very possible on this one, we'll see. Put the deposit on it today. Hopefully, with the weather cooperating here in NJ, I will take delivery on Sunday.

This boat was not on my radar, but was a very pleasant surprise. Once I take delivery, I can try to figure out how to post some pics and give the full details of the deal.

Re:Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22939

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
SMITH: CONGRATS, My vote is positive, If you can afford the package , I would grab it.! .. I have seen these at Mt Dora , Fla about 4 years ago, where guys were searching. Seen posts & ads to be shipped overseas. Newer , faster engine positive going forward , if a good deal in this economy. Corvettes in that time frame had 454. Maybe the size orig offered. .. Keep us all posted . Chris Craft just offering a similar rocket for 2011 , Silver Bullet I believe. Can see promo video. Bet your 73 is ways under that budget $

Re:Lead on a new boat for me 1973 Chris Craft XK 19 13 years 3 months ago #22957

The Chris-Craft XK 19 is one of the coolest looking boats from that time period in my opinion. They were the foster son of the Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. - a wholly owned subsidiary of Chris-Craft at Cortland, NY.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6340 guests and 3 members online