• Page:

TOPIC: Painted my Conqeror

Painted my Conqeror 13 years 4 months ago #20839

• Kevin.S
  • Kevin.S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well for everyone that is interested, I have finally got my Conqueror painted as of last night.. We suspended the whole boat from the rafter's in the paint booth, 3 coats of primer(not sure why he wanted 3 coats of primer) but none the less 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint the boat is looking fantastic. Will post pics later on when I pull it from the booth. I ordered some seats from ebay so its starting to come along.. Its moving fast now. Its going to be ready before the spring.....(not really) Have to figure out all the guages installing a bunch of them trim,volts,gas, gps,oil sensor gauge, speedo. and rpm guage. hopefully my motor will support all those features.. Thank god i bought the manual for it. keep you all posted onthe progress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 4 months ago #20870

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the finished paint job Kevin, bet it's going to look great! I put new gauges in mine this summer, have to go back now and tidy up the wiring. Tedious work, but well worth the effort IMO. Take your time, and get a can of liquid electrical tape or some heat shrink are my two best suggestions. ;)

Mark

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 4 months ago #20997

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I ran a plastic pipe through the floors while I had them out so I fished all the wires and controls through the floor. out of sight out if mind. it was a little tricky to get the steering and throttle wire in there hopefully it turns out ok. The wiring is roughed in.. Back in the summer I was at the marina and bought some water proof switches(not cheap) and some marine electrical connection. Thank god I am a electrician otherwise Its not an easy task. all the wires get confusing. Have to read my manual for the motor to install the Tack! I also posted some more photos of the whole project on my profile.. My camera decided to walk away (my wife thinks I am having an affair with this boat... I think she may be right) anyway when I get back to shop I will take the finished product pics of the boat and Hopefully It goes as good as it looks. :cheer:

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 2 months ago #24887

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey finally have some pictures posted with the primer and top coats applied to the boat. Hopefully everyone on here thinks it looks good. I poured my life into this boat.
Attachments:

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 2 months ago #25225

That is looking great. It will be quite the looker when finished. Keep posting pics!!!!!!

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 2 weeks ago #29423

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The liquid electrical tape was a good idea, I used a whole bunch of it... Finally back to work now and can finish off the interior I have the carpet in jut installed a 26 gal. fuel tank in it trying to figure out if i need a fuel pump now

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29863

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Very nice!

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29865

beautiful shine!nice paint job,it looks as if it was all worth it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29884

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It was def. worth it, all the work and frustrations just to get it in the water.. would not have been possible without the help from everyone here on fiber glassics

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29886

Great looking boat. What you going to power it with?

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29888

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
1988 Einrude 110 vro.. Pushes the boat pretty good.

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29891

Sounds ike a good choice. B)

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29908

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Kevin.S wrote:

Well for everyone that is interested, I have finally got my Conqueror painted as of last night.. We suspended the whole boat from the rafter's in the paint booth, 3 coats of primer(not sure why he wanted 3 coats of primer) but none the less 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint the boat is looking fantastic. Will post pics later on when I pull it from the booth. I ordered some seats from ebay so its starting to come along.. Its moving fast now. Its going to be ready before the spring.....(not really) Have to figure out all the guages installing a bunch of them trim,volts,gas, gps,oil sensor gauge, speedo. and rpm guage. hopefully my motor will support all those features.. Thank god i bought the manual for it. keep you all posted onthe progress

Im just Curious what type of Paint and primer you use ? Enamel , Urethane , Epoxy ?? Ive shot Many Many cars and a few boats .Some Primers you can thin down and use for a sealer . Shoot 1 coat of primer , Let it Flash off then shoot your paint . Its Called Wet on Wet .It helps hide repairs and gives a uniform color to shoot paint over .But there we only Shot 1 coat of the Primer Sealer .Was told if you get to much sealer on the solvents of your paint can eat into it and youll get a reaction .Unless it was epoxy primer mixxed as a sealer and he let it sit awhile like hours and then Shot the paint .Whatever he did it looks Great and is gonna be a cool boat . Im just curious and use to spraying Cars .. If you dont ask you dont learn ..

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29947

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We used 3 coats of epoxy primer, let easch coat flash over roughly 45 mins to hour each coat of primer and yes you are right it helps hid repairs. I had a bunch of spider cracks in the fiberglass from the boat twisting and what have you. Then we let it completley dry and what ever imperfections were in the primer we simply sanded them out and applied some more fiberglss putty let cure primed those areas again then shot the paint wet on wet for 3 coats. My step dad who painted the boat has worked for a few boat builders over the years and has a bunch of expirience building and painting them..
Im not sure the exact name of the paint he used but i know there was some reducer involved and some hardner in there as well. The paint that was used apparently has a 10 year guarentee for shine.

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29953

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Kevin ..That makes sense .I was reading your post late and must have misunderstood you . I thought you just shot 3 coats of paint over 3 fresh coats of primer ...L.O.L...Yes it sounds like your Step Dad knows what he is doing . Epoxy Primer Sticks like a mad man and is a excellent choice for UV and Water protection . By the looks of it Ild bet he used a Single Stage urethane Like Imron or Croma one . Gets almost a Clear coat shine but is alot tougher .Keep up the good work . You should have a Beautiful boat for a long time when your done .

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #29981

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
That's what I am hoping for. Too many hours invested in this project, now if I could figure out the gauges I'd be golden

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #30003

• Kevin.S
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
If I remember correctly he said it was Imron.

Re:Painted my Conqeror 13 years 1 week ago #30007

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Imron Excellent choice .Tought as stone . Just wear the proper resperator or better yet Air Supply when you spray it Otherwise Youll wake up Dead the next morning .Thats the same with most 2K paints and primers .Im sure your painter knew that tho .Its hard to enjoy your boat when thier throwing Dirt in your face to hold you down ...L.O.L..Keep up the good work !!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)