Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1972 18SS Sidewinder

1972 18SS Sidewinder 13 years 5 months ago #19490

Hey guys, just found this site... And this is my first post... Im in the middle of restoring a 1972 Sidewinder 18SS...

THAT IS ALL!
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 13 years 5 months ago #19496

Do you have any pics? I'd love to see it. I used to own a 1974 16' Sidewinder.
Attachments:

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 13 years 5 months ago #19497

Do you have any pics? I'd love to see it. I used to own a 1974 16' Sidewinder.
Attachments:

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 13 years 5 months ago #19506

Yeah, but mind you its in the middle of resto.
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee430/cturboaddict/72%2018SS%20Sidewinder/October2010weddingandb

You can follow through the pictues on photobucket if you wanted to.
Just look up Cturboaddict.
I purchased it with a 1971 85hp Evinrude on it, also it has a 1972 EZloader trailer. The boat itself a 1972 18SS.
Whoever owned it before me, deceided to make it into a "fishing boat" of sort? So i ripped out the three fishing seats with swivels on them, tore up the carpet to find a fresh layer of marine plywood unglassed looking at me.
Ripped that up to find a rotten glassed deck... I think you know where this is going. Ripped that up to find rotten stringers and ribs... Ripped those out and figured while in there RIP out the transom. Which i did, so i put it all back together so far adding kneebraces and a thicker horizontal brace to the transom. Glassed everything in, and right now im in the process of fabbing an interior for the boat. Looking to get my hands on two bucket seats and make two long benches for the sides... Its a work in progress, but it will be great when done.
Also, still in the hunt for another motor. The motor i have works, but the trim is quirky and id love to get my hands on something bigger for it..

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 13 years 5 months ago #19507

Hmm~ HOW DO YOU POST PICTURES??
Btw~ IM A NJ NATIVE MYSELF..... I just moved to Illinois about 5 years ago. DIE HARD EAGLE fan!! :)

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 8 months ago #82192

Damn~ i guess I should update this thread seeing that its nearing completion...

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 8 months ago #82232

That even looks fast in the driveway!
Nice job it looks good!

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 8 months ago #82235

Thanks man, I've got tons of photos. 3years in the boat with 1 of those years being the motor. Still ironing out a few things on the inline. This motor is the first one I purchased, and ended up rebuilding. Got it running fairly well now. Just the lower unit needs looking into and the carbs need adjustment and I should be good to go.

Plans currently- finish interior (back seat and sunpad), re-vinyl the front seats, and possibly a bimini top.

Big thanks to the Doc on helping me get the motor rebuild and up and running.

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 8 months ago #82236

I should detail the extend of restoration.
Stripped down, new transom, added knee braces (extend 3' into hull), stringers, deck and fiberglass seat boxes. Flipped boat, new gel coat on hull along with all repairs. Flipped boat, interlux brightsides (roll and tip) on the hull sides and top. New NFB steering, new perm moeller gastank, new guages, custom fabricated stainless switchplate, dual battery setup with switch, new radio with 5.5s in "kick panel" area and 6x9 in the gunnies, custom fabricated solid rub rail.

CMC PT130 with inside transom washers. 76 1150 rebuilt w/ new or rebuild rings/seals/lower bearings/bleed restric/carbs/fuel pump/dizzy from the doc/.

All work was done in my backyard, by myself while attending college full time while working full time (2jobs), raising two kids, and holding down a household.

Most recently the original owner from the 80s had discovered my photos online and we have chat. He was SOOOO happy to find the boat and that someone has taken the time to bring it back to life. After a car accident left him in a wheelchair- that didn't stop him from cruising Blarney Island with his wheelchair in the winder!!!

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #83310

Maiden Voyage 2.0 went way better!
[youtube]utk3_xqAP2o[/youtube]

I know its cheesy, but I was pretty damn happy....

Now~~ The downside. I couldn't get my rpms up over 4000 for some reason. The speedo didn't work for some reason, and the radio crapped out on me for the voyage. The CMC PT130 didn't seem to get me trimmed out enough to pop her loose, but maybe I'm crazy?? And the spray from the back of the boat looked a bit awkward to me.....

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #83311

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #83580

Check this motor for spark on all 6 cylinders.--Check for a ruptured diaphragm in fuel pump.
If perchance the there is blockage in one carburetor you can do major damage to 2 cylinders fed by that carburetor.

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #83584

Spark is good.

Fuel pump is rebuilt (not saying there isn't a ruptured diaphram). Carbs are rebuilt, but not necess not at fault. Is there a surefire way to tell if the carbs are not working correctly outside of the water.

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #84221

Moved to third hole out.... ZIIIINNNNGGG... I want faster though. Not too shabby for an 18' Sidewinder with added bracing and 500#s of dude + a full tank in there.
[youtube]hwQUPBj3Lz0[/youtube]

Re:1972 18SS Sidewinder 10 years 7 months ago #84222

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)