Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Member - New boat!

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141735

My name is John, new guy here hoping that I can contribute learn from everyone here. I have a mid to late 70's tahiti and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what model it might be? I did an engine search and it looks like it was manufactured in '77 but not positive. My plan right now is to replace the floorboard, do an engine overhaul (roommate is a boat mechanic), and put new sets into it. Maybe paint if I'm feeling up to that challenge. My dad left me this boat and I don't know too much about it, so any info anyone can provide would be huge. Thanks all glad to join you and I'll post pictures along the way of this rebuild!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141744

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
A boat built after 1972 will have the serial number stamped into the transom high on the starboard side. The last two numbers will be the year of manufacture. Not there? It's older than '72.

Normally, I would suggest that you run the registration number through the DNR to see how they had it registered, model, year, etc. However, the first two letters of your number does not indicate a state...or any other place I've ever heard of. Very unusual. Then again, CF could stand for "cash flow," which will definitely be the case before it's finished.

By the way, after you load your photos, if you hit "insert all," the photos will appear in your post, not just the icons.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141746

Hey thanks for the reply, I'll remember the tip about photos as I go along.

The boat was registered to my dad and I'm having him try and find the information, but he hasn't had much luck. He thinks it was a 76 or 77 possibly. The boat was registered in California,and I just checked the DMV website, apparently thats their designation. I'll check for the serial number on it! thanks!

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141747

All the DMV needs is your Dad's Info on a bill of sale and the CF number. You may need to take it the DMV. The boat that I am restoring they did not have a record of it and I just had the fill out new affidavit. boat had not been registered for 27 years. $120.00 boat and trailer. Get the block number on engine run it that will get you close to the year of the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EggrollofDestruction

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141749

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John:

Your outdrive is a pre-Alpha. You might consider changing to an Alpha One...a much better outdrive and a lot easier to find parts for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EggrollofDestruction

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141752

Thanks Nautilus,

Do you know a good resource to get parts for mercruisers?

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141754

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I probably have all the parts you would ever need: outdrives, gimbals, bellhousings, manifolds, etc. What engine do you have? Your engine will determine the gear ratio of the outdrive.

"Success makes...

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141757

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Cool dad to have something like that. Here is some discussion which might interest you.
www.riverracer.net/forums/showthread.php?89356-What-ever-happend-to-the-boat-manufacturer-TAHITI
Attachments:

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141761

It's a 4 cyl 120/140. I can see that from one picture where I can see the cooling hose. So 1.98 ratio. That #1 drive will last forever, no need to just install an Alpha. I can also tell that is 1970 or newer as the trim lines come out the bottom of the transom plate. I'd guess mid 70's.

New Member - New boat! 4 years 1 month ago #141787

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
welcome. Your outdrive is the same as on my 72 Sea Ray. It's a Pre-Alpha. Mercruiser called it a MC-1. Parts are readily available, but people who know how to work on them are not. If you don't want to do the work yourself, ask around the various shops for someone who works on old outdrive packages.
CF is the correct state identifier. The Coast Guard assigned the state identifiers for boat registrations in the 60's long before the post office did. Of course now everyone thinks it should be CA because that's what the USPS uses.

By the way, if it's the original engine/sterndrive package the serial numbers on the engine and the drive will match. If either have been replaced it won't.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

New Member - New boat! 3 years 9 months ago #142619

So a little bit of an update. Progress has come along nicely, we took out the engine and outdrive, my roommate is a boat mechanic so he is doing the maintenance on the outdrive and I'm handling the engine. My dad was in town for a bit and he helped me replace the stringer, floor, and transom wood. We fiberglassed it all in place and it feels much more solid. I then painted the topside to cover up some old spots where the fiberglass underneath was showing through. Sorry if the images are huge, not sure how to make them smaller on here!

New Member - New boat! 3 years 9 months ago #142621

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sweet! A labor of love no doubt. Glad to see the pics. Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)