TOPIC: "Chance favors the prepared mind."

"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128581

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
OK...I found another one that was just too good to pass up:

1974 Correct Craft Martinique, original 350 Chevy (looks to be good), 1:1 Velvet Drive, all hardware complete, original trailer, stringers good but the floor and interior is shot...$500!...and only 27 miles from home.

I TOLD you we needed an inboard section!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128582

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Looks like ya did it again! NIce.

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128584

Great project for someone with the expertise, time, and facilities to do the work. I am glad you found it and will take on the project.

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128585

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That's what it's all about...finding a worthy project for little money and restoring it or in my case, over-restoring it. I like the challenge and the creativity required. I turn old maids into debutantes. Restoring old boats was a hobby for me. It became a business by accident.

I've never owned a new boat and never will. In fact, now that I think about it, the newest boat I've ever owned was 19 years old. I currently own eight. The newest is a 1988...the only one that is seaworthy...bought as a junker and restored/re-powered.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128595

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Nice find. Always a plus when it is close. I have always liked the Martinique model. I even believe the model went to the Vee bottom in later years. I am quite sure yours will stand out in a crowd when you are finished "over restoring it". I don't think anyone can ever accuse me of that :)...but giving it my best shot on a tiny project. Way to save another weathered rig!

Dr.Go!

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128628

That is a really cool boat indeed!
I look forward to seeing your final product!
Doc F

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 5 months ago #128734

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
That CC is most excellent, it has a nice bow line and windshield rake, the go well together. At first I thought that it might b e a barracuda hull with the reverse chine tapering off to the bow, I always liked that look at rest or at speed where water gets kicked down but I think the bow line is too steep, anyways it's nice as is. It also does not look like the bow line of the early nautiques although the rest of the bottom looks somewhat similar...any fins on the bottom near the pylon?
I think the v version referred to was a martinique which then became the barefoot nautique in the v hulls final hurrah.
I had a ski course up till a few years ago so I had a tournament boat for that. When I moved onto a local river it was back to free skiing mostly so I decided to go vintage inboard. I looked for older fiberglass CC' s and Century Resorters I found a resorter first so it got the nod...wish I had seen a CC like yours as it's a bit different and not as common, I'm sure it would ski fine.
Nice find!
Randyk

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 4 months ago #129495

Jan,
A great catch! I found basically the same boat here in St. Louis back in October. This one is completely original, even the carpet. Ours has the PCM Ford 351(I think the GM's were special order). Naturally, I paid a bit more than the $500 that you paid, but very pleased with the purchase nonetheless. Keep us posted on the restoration and/or resell.

C.J. on the Mississippi; 1974 Correct Craft Martinique 18, 1967 Chris Craft Commander 27

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 4 months ago #129498

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That's a real sweetie! Mine is a project with potential. Yours is a turn-key beauty...and I'll spend a lot more money than you did trying to get mine looking as good as yours. (It occurs to me that I'm not all that smart.) Great find. Great boat.

"Success makes...

Re:"Chance favors the prepared mind." 7 years 4 months ago #129499

" It occurs to me that I'm not all that smart. " J.S. Hadley

Jan,
I'm afraid those Humility Lessons are starting to take... :)
Thanks for the kudos! I was on the hunt for a Chris Craft, Century or Correct Craft, in that order. And, although my 3rd choice, the price, condition and location sold me on this Correct Craft. Though I didn't know much about the manufacturer initially, after seeing the gelcoat, fiberglass and upholstery work on this particular specimen, I'm now convinced they were first string players. And, the price I paid is half that of a comparable Chris Craft or Century. Of course, any money I didn't spend on the Correct Craft gets rolled into the other, other woman. A 1967 Chris Craft Commander 27 two-screw... :)

C.J. on the Mississippi; 1974 Correct Craft Martinique 18, 1967 Chris Craft Commander 27

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)