Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Club Lido Engine Rating?

Club Lido Engine Rating? 13 years 8 months ago #12667

Hi. Wondering if anyone would know what size engine the Glasspar Club Lido was rated for when first produced? Trying to find out what size/weight engine this baby can handle. She currently has a 1961 33 hp Evirude, which barely pushes her with 4 people onboard! Should be able to water ski behind her, yes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Club Lido Engine Rating? 13 years 8 months ago #12739

Hi,
I have little knowledge of Glasspar specifics, but a 1962 trade-in "Blue Book" states that the 1956, 1957, and 1958 Sport Lido/Lido Standard/Lido Deluxe are 40 horsepower. Note that Mercury's 1957 60 horsepower, and 1958/59 70 horsepower outboards were the largest production models. In 1960, the Lido, likely Stardard model is 50 horsepower, the likely Deluxe model is 70 horsepower. In 1959 and 1961, the horsepower ratings are not stated.
With the above stated, common sense is there is no substitute for cubic inch displacement (particularly for skiing), but too heavier outboard also hurts "take-off" performance (particularly without power trim & tilt). I think that if you can hold outboard weight to the low 200 pounds range or less, with a larger horsepower (particularly if rated at the propeller shaft), the happier you will be. For example, a 1998-2006 Mercury 60 horsepower is 59 cubic inches and 60 horsepower at the propeller shaft. You may wish to have a vintage engine, such as a Mercury Mark 58/58A, Merc 400, Merc 450, or Merc 500 to name some Mercury models. These have 44 cubic inches and are 45 & 50 horsepower at the flywheel.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Club Lido Engine Rating? 13 years 8 months ago #12766

Thanks very much Joe! Very helpful.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7882 guests and no members online