Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 powercat 14c power help

1961 powercat 14c power help 8 years 8 months ago #112865

Hi guys I'm new here and wondering what power you would recommend for this boat. It has 2 4cyl 50hp mercury on it now and I'm restoring the boat so time to decide 2 engines or one. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1961 powercat 14c power help 8 years 8 months ago #112870

What's wrong with the Mercs? Good motor.

Cats look great with twins. Twin Flying Scott's would be the ultimate but lots less headaches with the Mercs.

Re:1961 powercat 14c power help 8 years 8 months ago #112878

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 14T and next week I pickup a 16T Power Cat.
You will love the little Cat.

Look here: www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/c/c0/Powercatb61002.jpg
Also, www.powercatboat.com , if you haven't already.
Danny Leger, son of the designer Ray Leger will likely chime in soon as he's a member here. Thankfully for all of us, Danny is very engaged in keeping the PC legacy alive and well.
Regarding power, one Merc 50 is plenty of power for your 14C, at least for most people. Plenty. If you run a single you'll have an easier time carrying another person, fuel, equipment.
Twin 50's can and has been done, depends on what your goal is for the boat. That will be a lot of weight on the transom, however she will be a fast little kitty with twins. You will have to carry fuel to feed both of them.
The Merc 50hp 4 cylinder is a nice little engine and not bad on fuel. Smooth little powerplant. I had a 1964 that a friend gave me and remember it fondly.
I recommend noting what the brochure recommended, then consult with Danny or the yahoo Power Cat group.
I've had several Power Cat boats, with twins and with single engine.
Once you run a Cat it's hard going back to settle for half a cat:)
I only own one half a cat these days.

Re:1961 powercat 14c power help 8 years 8 months ago #112880

Thanks guys. Yea I guess I should of said why. I have a supposed 1966 sea devil that lost a cyl. It has a force 50 hp. One of the merc would fit on it nicely. Plans for the cat are to use it for family fun with the occasional tube in tow We also have 3 adults and 3 kids we take out in the sea devil so I'm positive they will be ridding in the cat. We also like cruising the harbors at night. Tons of 100hp mercs floating around here to. Thanks guys

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)