Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new member, 78 fiberform 18 ft runabout

new member, 78 fiberform 18 ft runabout 2 years 11 months ago #111749

Hey, new guy here. I just jumped head first into the "project" boat scene. I've been looking for a while, but could never find the right thing, or what I thought was right. Either the trailer was shot, hull/transom was shot, or engine was shot, or too far from me, or some combo of those.
Well, what I grabbed was this 78 Fiberform; It was close to me (like 15 minutes away), hull didn't (and still doesn't) seem too bad, trailer looked ok, engines are still a concern, and it had a ridiculous amount of paperwork with it, titles, original receipt, Fiberform owners booklet, etc. 800 bucks.
The potential bad news is that it may have been unused since 1994, at least that was the last time the trailer was registered. It was parked with the bow up really high, and with the original full canvas with snap in windows on it, until that gave up the ghost which kind of sucks as i think it was a pretty cool top.

The trailer needs a bit of help, but I was able to put air in the tires and get it home without too much pucker factor. Had to use temp trailer light kit though.

Here (hopefully), are a couple of pictures, one as it sat at the previous owners place, nd a couple from after I got it safely to my house.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:new member, 78 fiberform 18 ft runabout 2 years 11 months ago #111756

First, welcome aboard, glad to have you here. That should be a nice project. Double check the floor real good, make sure it isn't soft anywhere, especially around the seat base area. Basically anywhere there may have been screws into it. That's usually where the floors start to rot if water gets to it. I think I saw your post on the Merc forum, that's good plenty of knowledgeable folks that can help out. Now time to giver her a really good scrubdown and see what ya got.

Bob

Re:new member, 78 fiberform 18 ft runabout 2 years 11 months ago #111803

Hello Bob.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure given the boats history that there must be some softness/rot here and there, but even with my limited fiberglass boat history I haven't felt any worrisome spots yet. My hope was to figure out if I can make the engine live, and get her out a couple of time this season, then do some more extensive work over the winter. Man, I sure am jealous of some of the shops other members on here have! That being said, I've some pretty amazing work being done under tarps and/or the portable 10x20 "garages" too. I don't think I'll have any boat time this weekend as i have a kitchen remodel to wrap up, but we'll see.
Have a great weekend.

Re:new member, 78 fiberform 18 ft runabout 2 years 11 months ago #111805

Looks it will be a cool project. I'll bet the finish will look a whole lot better after a good scrubbing.
Believe me, if you wind up having to glass in new stringers, deck, etc. with polyester resin, you'll be glad you're outside, the fumes are wicked.

Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

1958 Dorsett Belmont
( / Boats)

1958 Dorsett Belmont
05-22-2018

SEEKING: 1961 RED FISH aft side emblems.
( / Wanted)

noimage
05-22-2018

1956 Bell Boy 16' Hard Top Express
( / Boats)

1956 Bell Boy 16' Hard Top Express
05-14-2018

FiberGoogle

Quick Search

Who's Online

We have 5539 guests and 7 members online