• Page:

TOPIC: applying fiberglass mat or not

applying fiberglass mat or not 13 years 9 months ago #11075

• wayne55
  • wayne55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
i recently acquired a 1974 seabreeze 18', the person that owned it before me put in new stringers with a new floor, installed .new carpet, i pulled the carpet back and noticed the new flooring, and thats all that is there, shouldn't the floor be sealed with fiberglass mat? or some kind of sealer? any help would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: applying fiberglass mat or not 13 years 9 months ago #11117

I would imagine the new stringers and glass are under the flooring, which probably should be sealed from the elements.

Re:applying fiberglass mat or not 13 years 9 months ago #11154

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The new floor isn't just bare, unsealed wood is it? If so, I would definitely want to seal it good, I guess you would use resin for this? I don't think you would need to do the fiberglass mat, as I understand it that would be for strength, which you really don't need. Please keep in mind I'm still a novice at this compared to many on here, so hopefully somebody with more knowledge can jump in and confirm or correct.

If it were me, and the floor isn't sealed at all, I would also contact the p/o to see if he at least sealed the underside of the floor and the stringers. (Ask nicely without infliction or accusation if you want an honest answer.) ;)

Mark

Re:applying fiberglass mat or not 13 years 9 months ago #11175

• wayne55
  • wayne55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
yes the wood is bare, the only protection is that it is pressure treated, and i'm going to assume that the stringers aren't sealed, alittle background on the p/o, when i finally decided to get the boat, which i traded a piece of jewerly for, i pick the boat up, i noticed that the engine was a 2 stroke so i called the guy's cell phone and his wifes cell phone to get the gas/oil ratio, low and behold they had changed thrir numbers, so i'm guessing he had something to hide, and again i don't believe that the stringers had been sealed, going to pull the the floor anyway.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6667 guests and one member online