Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?"

1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 11 months ago #109856

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I been on this site. Last time my boss drug out an old '58 Herters and asked me to get rid of it. I'm not too good at sales because we still have it.
Today he drug out another surpise and that is why I am here today. Before I can do anything I need to know what this boat is worth.
It is a 1978 Monark Mcfast 17. GET THIS it has less than 100 hours on it since new. I need some honest serious feedback on the value of this boat. I am going to put it in the fiberglassics add section as a make offer but before I go to eBay I want to get an idea of it's worth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 11 months ago #109858

[file/] postimg.org/gallery/2ql8gtxf2/ Here is a link to photos of this boat. Thanks

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 11 months ago #109866

Soap and water. gotta get below the dirt to see whats going on there. On this era of boat, a clean and intact interior will double the value. Does the live well work? does the motor run? condition of the trailer?
Unfortunate truth of the 70's boats is that the vast majority aren't collectible, so its gotta be marketed as a fishing platform.

Im not any kind of expert, but in my area, it would list probably from $0 to $8k, depending on material condition.

Will

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 8 years 11 months ago #109875

Willdiver wrote:

Soap and water. gotta get below the dirt to see whats going on there. On this era of boat, a clean and intact interior will double the value. Does the live well work? does the motor run? condition of the trailer?
Unfortunate truth of the 70's boats is that the vast majority aren't collectible, so its gotta be marketed as a fishing platform.

Im not any kind of expert, but in my area, it would list probably from $0 to $8k, depending on material condition.

Will

Thanks for the response. I am getting it out tomorrow and give it a good solid cleaning and see if the upper gel coat will come around.
I don't know if the carbs were drained but I have to assume that I will have to clean the entire fuel system. I also need to roll out the soft top ( not up on boat terminology). Also plan on checking out the live well and everything else. Not sure how to go about checking to see if the depth works. The only thing against this boat and all it's fixtures is time in the shed and not on the water. Till last year it was kept indoors its entire life then put in a covered lean too. And like i said before, this thing has less than 100 hours since new.

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 11 months ago #109883

Definitely set up the bimini - that's the top- aND check it's condition. I wouldn't be too concerned about the depth finder- I'd just replace it with an electronic fish finder if I was buying it.
Trailer probably could use new wheel bearings (don't worry, they're cheap and easy to replace). Gotta lube all the cables (steering, throttle, shift).
I like the deluxe mercontrol, wish I had it.
Once the boat is clean, engine running smooth, take it out to a lake and run it. That will let you know how complete it is.

Will

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 11 months ago #109895

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Around here (North GA) that's about a $3500 to $3800 boat if everything cleans up well and works as it's supposed to. Probably get plenty of offers around $2500 to $2800, just depends on how much you need to get out of it.

As will stated it's not really a "collectable", but could be a darn good fishing vessel for somebody! Hope This Helps.....

Mark

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 10 months ago #110573

Thanks for all the input. Here is a pic I took with the top up. It is in good shape and the zipper on its cover still works fine.
I don't have the time right now to clean it up, get it running, and test it. I went ahead and run it local on Craigslist for $3500.00. It really needs a bath.
Attachments:

Re:1978 Monark Mcfast 17 "value?" 8 years 10 months ago #110576

I would clean and shine. Pretty up the wheels, wash and wax. The pretty factor can boost you up to $500.
I'm not familiar with the market in your area, by in mine, cleaned up and motor running smooth, I'd list for 5k.
The engine running good is a real clincher on the deal.

Will

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6993 guests and 2 members online