Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy signs on

New guy signs on 9 years 3 weeks ago #107576

Hello everyone and thanks for allowing me to join,

I discovered this group while looking for information about repairing the transom in my old boat. Since it was built in someone's garage in California in 1971 it probably best fits in this group. It is a Regatta Sportivo (hence the user name) and I have seen two in 44 years; the other one sank a long time ago. I bought the boat right after I got out of college and found out how easy it was to get a loan :)

Now that winter is officially over it's time to start the outdoor projects. As soon as I am able to drag the boat out of the garage I will post photos.

My goal is to repaint the trailer, repair the transom, and repaint the boat. I plan to do the transom myself and have the painting done professionally. It will be the second repaint for both the boat and trailer. I would also like to repaint the motor, but am not sure how successful that may be. It is an Evinrude 115 and of the rather ugly hammer tone green finish. Like the boat, it is also old... 1980s somewhere.

I have spent a few hours looking through all the lists and hope that I will be able to contribute something meaningful.

I am so glad I stumbled across the group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 3 weeks ago #107578

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Gary, welcome to F/g. we like pictures. and ask all the questions you want. there are a lot of experts here on any subject. glad to have you here. frog

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 3 weeks ago #107584

Welcome aboard, lots and lots of great info here ,your in the right place !!! madbohunk safe boating

Re: New guy signs on 9 years 3 weeks ago #107598

sportive,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: New guy signs on 9 years 5 days ago #108639

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

I've been away for a while and just came back to discover that Will, in another thread, has a Kona that looks exactly like my Regatta.

One factory, many brands, just like Chinese ping pong paddles.

sportivo

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 4 days ago #108663

It was a popular style in CA. Kona, Witchcraft, cheetah, and many others made similar looking boats. My dad had a 77 Witchcraft 17'. Great for lakes, not so much for ocean.

Will

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 4 days ago #108665

No worries about the ocean in Nebraska.

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 4 days ago #108718

No, I guess it isnt a concern in Nebraska. Out here in Los Angeles, we're running a bit short on fresh water though.
Keep up updated on your transom project.

Will

Re:New guy signs on 9 years 2 days ago #108840

I have been visiting with a few boat professionals and am finding put how little I know. Since i plan to find a pro to do the paint job ( which I am learning may not be what I want) I need to start looking for someone who does know what's going on. So, the question is. what questions should I ask the prospective "painter" or whatever they should be called ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

sporitvo

Re:New guy signs on 8 years 11 months ago #109337

To be true to the period, you need a metal flake gelcoat. But that's expensive. Ideally, you should find someone specializing in boats, or at least fiberglass, as it'll flex more than a car.

Will

Re:New guy signs on 8 years 11 months ago #109340

Where is the picture you promised? I'll try to get a good shot tomorrow (on the lake) of mine and get it up.posted.

Will

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)