Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP!

67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 4 months ago #72695

• Rod
  • Rod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Could not pass this one up. The last project has been done for a couple years. I saw this one three years ago and it was not for sale, but it just popped up and I just HAPPENED to be looking at adds.. So-- NOW I got it.. BUT it has the Merc 80 stern drive. With a water pump problem.
I have not looked at it even a little-- Just brought it home and am busy with other stuff.. Can I get parts for this? I was told the engine is OK.. The outdrive lower has been removed, I HOPE all the small parts are in the boat.

Will also be looking for windshield hardware.

Yes, I would be open to changing the Renault out for a 153 Chevy 4 cylinder if a donor boat came along and there were no other realistic options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 4 months ago #72703

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Here's one place with diagrams/parts lists:

www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=80++RENAULT++80+I%2FL4+1966-1969

Here's another site and they have the impeller in stock for $29.97:

www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/lookup_parts_mercyear2.cfm/coll_style/04/block_nbr/140/index_nbr/1565/doc_part_nbr/%2046940/requesttimeout/3000/search_text/38099/pickdrive/38099/path/%2046940/pickyear/0.cfm

It's part # 47-30041T and is #49 on the diagram.

The part is NLA from Merc, but a Google search of the part # shows a lot of sites with NOS or aftermarket reproduction parts.

HTH..........ed

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 4 months ago #72738

Following are a few diagrams from a MerCruiser manual. If your sterndrive is disassembled in pieces, you will likely need to locate a replacement/donor unit.

Attachments:

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72929

• Rod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK Guys Thanks for the help! Looks like I have some missing parts. Looking at the parts list, I see stuff there that I dont have. Here is what I think I need to find- Water pump body - Impeller -seals and gaskets. I will start with a couple of the old boat shops around here, but if you have any parts that I need let me know. Sure would like to see this thing back in operation this spring.

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72930

• Rod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK Guys Thanks for the help! Looks like I have some missing parts. Looking at the parts list, I see stuff there that I dont have. Here is what I think I need to find- Water pump body - Impeller -seals and gaskets. I will start with a couple of the old boat shops around here, but if you have any parts that I need let me know. Sure would like to see this thing back in operation this spring.
Sure would like to post a couple pictures, but I have no clue how to make the photos files small enough to be accepted.

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72935

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Rod there are a couple of free software programs that will resize your pics. They're listed in the Support Section;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/7-support/22256-how-to-post-pictures.html

Another way to post pics without having to worry about their size is to use one of the free picture hosting sites like PhotoBucket or Picasa. If you load your pictures there, all you have to do is paste the "img link" in the text of your post using the pic icon in the tool bar above. (When you're posting) It's the third icon from the right, looks like a computer screen with a chain under it.

Good luck with your parts search, hope you are successful. Several of the members here have, or know of, stashes of old Mercruiser parts. Let us know how you're doing.....;)

Mark

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72948

• Rod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
OK-- I got photos on photobucket. Now trying figure out how to link them. I see the icon up there near the ebay logo. but it seems not to do anything for me.

Will try the online photo resizer..

Meanwhile, I wonder if this link helps:

s760.beta.photobucket.com/user/rodsofthevalley/library/#/user/rodsofthevalley/library/1967%20Dorsett%20Belmont?&_suid=135698397963404914013924418287

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72949

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

If you call the individual pics up on PB, over to the right is a box called "Image Code". When you click on it and paste it here, it transfers to your post. Good looking project, BTW!

Mark

Re:67 Dorsett Belmont with Mercruiser 80 - HELP! 11 years 3 months ago #72953

Hi Rod,
I hope that I can make a few comments that you will find helpful.
From the pictures:
(1) the lower shift shaft has pulled out of the gear housing assembly (lower portion of drive unit). This almost always requires that the propeller shaft be removed to allow the reinstallation of the shift shaft into the shift cam.
(2) the "Oil and Water Adaptor Assembly" (it is not a water pump housing) is badly melted, likely from being started briefly without water supply to the cooling system. It is very likely that any of the rubber or plastic components in the exhaust system will be damaged and need replacements also. The water pump is in the top of the driveshaft housing (upper portion of the drive unit), and will very likely also need total replacement due to lack of water.
The posted Mercruiser breakdown pictures are not really correct for the view of a Mercruiser 80 unfortunately.
If I can help, please e-mail me, and we can possibly talk by phone if desired.
A happy and healthy New Year to all!

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)