• Page:

TOPIC: Volvo 140 with stern drive

Volvo 140 with stern drive 7 years 5 months ago #127893

• 16Again
  • 16Again's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking at a boat with the Volvo 140 from 1960. Everything works as it should at the moment but am curious about the viability of this combination. Motor has the twin side draft carbs but nothing else exotic as far a I can determine so far. Does the OD have any inherent problems? How about the motor? Seriously considering this boat but its a lot of money for a 19' 57 yob.
Thanks
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 10 months ago #146689

This is a new response to old request. In 1960 from what I remember the Volvo stern drive engine combinations were 70 and 90 horse engines. They were based on the B16 engines. They were really a good engine and in an automotive environment were very good. They were Three main bearing and pretty free revering. engines. Today parts can be limited specially for the marine parts. VP auto parts out of South Carolina can help with internal engine parts. It was not until early 1961 the new B18 series engine arrived with 5 main bearings, solid engineering, and materials in Manufacuring used were the best at the time. In the 1962 model year all new volvo cars had these engines. This engine has set a world record of over 3 million miles in a Volvo p1800 sportscar. Original engine throughout it's use. That is why these engines also made very good boat engines.
Getting back to 100 drives were used from about 1959-1964? It was replaced by the all new 200 series in 1964-5 years onward.
In 1961 my father purchased a new 20 foot Dorsett Fallan with the new 100 hp B18, and one hundred outdrive combination.
The out drive was called a 100 drive and was designed by a boating enthusiast, engineer in the US. Volvo Penta of Sweden purchased the rights to the designed and built them. The boat was a big twenty foot boat and this engine was able to plane the boat at 24 plus speed. This boat and engine combination were in extended use from 1961 to 1973 with the original marine engine package.
So if it is 1960 I do not think that 140 number you said was available in a stern drive application. I do know that there was a Volvo 140hp sterndrive package in the 1970's

Hope this helps,
John S. aka Svenski
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrydi

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 10 months ago #146693

Hello Svenski,

Welcome to FiberGlassics and thanks for the post. Sounds like you know your way around the old Volvos.

The Volvo Penta Aquamatic origins and development is an interesting story. I read and to the best of my recollection it began when MIT student Charlie Strang doodled an idea for an outdrive way back in the late 1940’s.

Charlie graduated and went on to work for E.C Keikhaefer at Mercury as his chief engineer. Years later he presented his sterndrive concept to Kiekhaefer who was not interested.

Charlie then collaborated with Mercury sales manager Jim Wynne and together they developed a sterndrive based on Charlies original design.

He backed out leaving Mercury and handed over the rights to Jim Wynne who did leave and sold it to Volvo for millions.

Volvo Penta premiered the Aquamatic in the US at 1959 motorboat shows.

www.boatblurb.com/post/innovators-in-boating-volvo-penta

Merc came around a couple years later offering the MerCruiser which quickly captured the sterndrive market.

I twice had the incredible opportunity to meet Charlie and hear some of his stories of those glory days.

www.quincylooperracing.us/subpage84.html

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 8 months ago #146850

I just adopted a 1961 Thompson woody boat with a Volvo Penta 80 HP stern drive.

Andreas

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 8 months ago #146851

Just added this 1961 Thompson 17 ft Sea Lancer with 80 HP Volvo Penta stern drive to my collection.

Andreas

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 8 months ago #146855

Would love to see a photo!!

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 8 months ago #146873

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Will you bring it to Sturgeon Bay show early August? Things have come up, so doubt I can make it. Sounds like a cool boat!

Dr.Go!

Volvo 140 with stern drive 1 year 8 months ago #146874

apparently my photos are too big

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)