• Page:

TOPIC: confused

confused 1 year 8 months ago #127762

• avocado
  • avocado's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings, I am trying to remove the stern drive on a 1967 Larson with a 120. serial number on the drive is 2260490. Everything that I have read shows to remove the six nuts, put in to forward gear and it should pull off. I can get it to move a little bit, but will not come off. What am I missing. I have sprayed some lube around the flange, corroded? I am new to I/o and I do not want to break anything. Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:confused 1 year 8 months ago #127773

• avocado
  • avocado's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
After some more research I decided it was time for the persuader. Aka 5 lb. mall :) I had already removed the engine so I started to tap on the drive shaft and it moved. Rusty water started to pour out and once all the way out what a nasty mess in the boot. Assuming the boot is bad?? When I figure out how to post pictures I will add them.

Re:confused 1 year 8 months ago #127844

The boot is definitely bad. They need to be changed every two to three years or so, and checked at least seasonally for leaks. Salt water always takes a bit more of a toll on the boot due to crustaceans, and in fresh water muskrats and the like can potentially nibble on them, n addition to just general degradation of the ruber.

A bad leak can sink the boat! Make sure you replace the main as well as the shift cable boot.

Re:confused 1 year 8 months ago #127889

Oh boy. Yes you need new bellows, and a new gimble bearing and u joints as well. Water in that area is bad news, and if a joint lets go it can sink the boat. Replace everything that rotates inside there, remember it all turns at crankshaft speed!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Quick Search

Who's Online

We have 3101 guests and 7 members online